MSI 970 AIO Liquid Cooled and CPU

Yes i used a G10 bracket with a AIO on a non reference 970 board xD

Was very easy and simple to put to on and the MSI GPU comes with a vRam heat plate already so no need to but extra heat sinks

MSI GTX 970 Gaming

I5 with V6 GT

Before Change:

GPU Idle- 50

GPU Full Load- 79

CPU Idle- 45

CPU Full Load- 65

After change

GPU Idle- 27

GPU full Load- 47

CPU Idle- 28

CPU full Load- 42

What was changed

GPU: Stock MSI cooling changed to

Kraken G10 bracket (Coolmaster 92mm blade master) with Corsiar H90 (Noctua NF-14 in push, Corsair AF 140 quite in pull)

CPU: CoolMaster V6 GT changed to

Cooler Master Nepton 280L (2x Noctua NF-14 in pull)

I also uninstalled ASUS Ai Suit 3 to get rid of the fan xpert and installed speed fan,

All my fans run at low RPM so virtually no noise, once GPU gets to 40 degrees all fans in the case will go to 100% which is a little noisy but not to bad with Quite edition and silent fans.

GPU Before:

2urnt46.jpg

5yenia.jpg

250m4oj.jpg

CPU After:

wth843.jpg

3088qiq.jpg

kf5mkl.jpg

Full Build here:

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

now OC it to hell, 1.5 GHZ all the way

make sure your VRM doesnt overheat tho, you got heatspreaders on it?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

if your psu cables are long enough put the gpu power through the middle gromit and have them come in from the side so you can still see the nzxt logo :D

Change the direction of your H90 fan. It should be exhausting air out the back of your case. Also, push/pull works really well with the G10 Bracket.

Lastly, make sure that your pump is running at 100%. 60C full load is hot for a G10 mod. Especially with an H90 on a 970.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

now OC it to hell, 1.5 GHZ all the way

make sure your VRM doesnt overheat tho, you got heatspreaders on it?

Firstly i was running the OC on 1500mhz with voltage on default before the AIO

Secondly you dont need heatsink on the Vram but the MSI does have a plate on it which i left on 

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTQxMTk3NjU5NW5pdEZaMTFFZzFfMV83X2wuanBn

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

Firstly i was running the OC on 1500mhz with voltage on default before the AIO

Secondly you dont need heatsink on the Vram but the MSI does have a plate on it which i left on 

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTQxMTk3NjU5NW5pdEZaMTFFZzFfMV83X2wuanBn

VRM, not Vram, Voltage Regulation Module, 

Good to know you broke 1.5 Ghz, i got a 970 gaming 4G waiting for me to OC it too hell once it goes underwater

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Change the direction of your H90 fan. It should be exhausting air out the back of your case. Also, push/pull works really well with the G10 Bracket.

Lastly, make sure that your pump is running at 100%. 60C full load is hot for a G10 mod. Especially with an H90 on a 970.

I have it pulling air in and the front with the 280mm rad for the CPU pulling air in, i have 3x120 at the top pulling air out

Pump is connected directly to the PSU so its at 100% and the GPu is OC (running high settings with 4k DRS on 1080p monitor) but dont know how else to make it cooler

if your psu cables are long enough put the gpu power through the middle gromit and have them come in from the side so you can still see the nzxt logo :D

Ill look into doing that thanks

this computer is fucking hawt (but its cool at the same time tho) :o

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

So expensive PC build but can't rotate photo 180°

but it looks so sexy ;3 

Haha Iphone doesnt want to take pictures straight.. and im lazy to swap them around

ok i tightened the screws and its down to 52 on max load

Haha Iphone doesnt want to take pictures straight.. and im lazy to swap them around

ok i tightened the screws and its down to 52 on max load

Much better.  You should still flip the H90 fans to exhaust.  Some people have seen as much as an 11C difference just by changing the direction of their fans.  The air coming out from that small of a radiator is HOT.  You want that air being expelled from the case, not going into it.  I know that conventional wisdom is pull in cool air from the outside, but it doesn't apply to the G10 Bracket Mod.  You would be perfectly fine if you switched all of your fans to intake except the H90s fans.  That would create positive air pressure which is desirable.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Much better.  You should still flip the H90 fans to exhaust.  Some people have seen as much as an 11C difference just by changing the direction of their fans.  The air coming out from that small of a radiator is HOT.  You want that air being expelled from the case, not going into it.  I know that conventional wisdom is pull in cool air from the outside, but it doesn't apply to the G10 Bracket Mod.  You would be perfectly fine if you switched all of your fans to intake except the H90s fans.  That would create positive air pressure which is desirable.

Wont the 280mm CPU radiator create hot air and thus make it not worth it to swap the GPU AIO fans to exhaust? 

Wont the 280mm CPU radiator create hot air and thus make it not worth it to swap the GPU AIO fans to exhaust? 

Nope.  The CPU has a low TDP compared to a GPU, and it has twice the surface area to dissipate the heat.

Switch everything to intake except for the H90.

Nope.  The CPU has a low TDP compared to a GPU, and it has twice the surface area to dissipate the heat.

Switch everything to intake except for the H90.

I have done that and the temps are the same, any specific RPM i should run the fans on?

I have done that and the temps are the same, any specific RPM i should run the fans on?

Well, it sounds like you have an AF fan, when you need an SP fan.  So... if I'm correct in the type of fan that you're using you might want to consider switching to a static pressure optimized fan.  In the mean time, higher fan speed generally has a linear impact on lower temperatures.

Also, make sure that your G10 fan is running at a constant 75%-100%.

Wow dude! Nice case, your temperatures have really improved :) I've been using water cooling, but I'm switching to a Noctua NH-U14s tomorrow. I hope it gives me as good performance as liquid cooling or close. I wanted to purchase a couple AIOs systems recently to do something similar, but I read too many horror stories in reviews. I was scared out of it :(

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Well, it sounds like you have an AF fan, when you need an SP fan.  So... if I'm correct in the type of fan that you're using you might want to consider switching to a static pressure optimized fan.  In the mean time, higher fan speed generally has a linear impact on lower temperatures.

Also, make sure that your G10 fan is running at a constant 75%-100%.

I have a SP fan the Noctua NF-14 as push and AF140 as pull, according to this video its the best set up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7JMOcypus

I also heard that A gpu needs 1.5x or 2x more thermal past than a cpu? so thats 2 pea size blops

Is that correct? if so should i take it apart, clean the past and reapply? and how much?

Wow dude! Nice case, your temperatures have really improved :) I've been using water cooling, but I'm switching to a Noctua NH-U14s tomorrow. I hope it gives me as good performance as liquid cooling or close. I wanted to purchase a couple AIOs systems recently to do something similar, but I read too many horror stories in reviews. I was scared out of it :(

Ye i wanted to get it below 50 under load but iv found after a hour of gaming it reaches 55, its a lot better than it was but wana try push it :)

I have a SP fan the Noctua NF-14 as push and AF140 as pull, according to this video its the best set up

I also heard that A gpu needs 1.5x or 2x more thermal past than a cpu? so thats 2 pea size blops

Is that correct? if so should i take it apart, clean the past and reapply? and how much?

Ye i wanted to get it below 50 under load but iv found after a hour of gaming it reaches 55, its a lot better than it was but wana try push it :)

Sorry man. I honestly have no clue how to liquid cool a GPU, it was just something I was considering. I was replacing my custom water loop this week and was considering some of the AIOs, but decided to go with air cooling which I've never done it my rig before. I'm not sure about the pea sizing being different, I would post in the graphics card section or this section with that question and hopefully someone could answer it for you.

Your temperatures to my knowledge seem good though :)

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Yes, a GPU does require more TIM than a CPU.  If you only used a small amount, definitely reapply.  I strongly recommend using the spread method when it comes to GPU TIM application.  Because of how the G10 bracket works, you don't get very high mounting pressure, so spreading it out yourself is going to ensure total coverage.  Also, you want to tighten the screws down enough so that you are properly cooling the GPU, but not too much that the card is bending or flexing.

Your fans are fine.

What is your ambient temperature?

Yes, a GPU does require more TIM than a CPU.  If you only used a small amount, definitely reapply.  I strongly recommend using the spread method when it comes to GPU TIM application.  Because of how the G10 bracket works, you don't get very high mounting pressure, so spreading it out yourself is going to ensure total coverage.  Also, you want to tighten the screws down enough so that you are properly cooling the GPU, but not too much that the card is bending or flexing.

Your fans are fine.

What is your ambient temperature?

I redid the thermal paste and it had no affect. screws are tightened, they werent when i installed the G10 and i was getting 70 at load now im getting 55 after an hour of extreme graphics gameplay.

its summer now so my room is about 25 degrees

I redid the thermal paste and it had no affect. screws are tightened, they werent when i installed the G10 and i was getting 70 at load now im getting 55 after an hour of extreme graphics gameplay.

its summer now so my room is about 25 degrees

Those temperatures are fine.  They fall right in line with what everyone using a G10 gets on a 780/290/780Ti/290X/970/980 get.

Those temperatures are fine.  They fall right in line with what everyone using a G10 gets on a 780/290/780Ti/290X/970/980 get.

Thanks for all the help, I have updated the After mod pics with the current setup after all the tweaking i did with placement and fans and that.

So its my final build

Seems to get to 45 fastish, then it will gain a degree every 5-10min till about 55

But im happy, went from nearly 80 to 55 :)

Looking at doing this with my gigabyte 970 g1, do you think I need anything else?

Looking at doing this with my gigabyte 970 g1, do you think I need anything else?

I Would try keep the Back plate on, whish my board had one, helps with looks and that little extra heat.

Also i dont know if the G1 has a heat plate like the MSi between the board and the heat sinks it comes with. If it does try keep it as well.

Otherwise if you want more silence you could look at replaceing teh 92mm fan the G10 comes with, but test it first.

And then make sure you get a AIO that is on the G10 list, if you got for a 120 or 140 i would look at doing a push/pull config otherwise if its a 240mm or bigger a pull config should be fine.

I will PM you a link to another website/G10 owners club where you can see what people have done and problems they had and the solutions.

• 4 months later...

Have you had any issues since installing the g10 setup? Everywhere I've researched says that that MSI GTX 970 Gaming G4 isn't compatible since the VRM is on the opposite side of the card. You've had it going for several months now so I was just curious.