NAS recommendation

Nem

I'm looking to build a NAS and I want to be able to use it for 3 things: home file server, plex media server, owncloud

What do you guys recommend I go with for that functionality? Are there any out of the box solutions to handle this? I don't want to spend a ton of money on this, maybe $400-500 (including tax, shipping etc)

I've looked into freeNAS, and I know it has plugins for plex and owncloud which is great, but it seems that UFS is deprecated and ZFS is the only file system available on freeNAS going forward. I wouldn't be terribly comfortable running ZFS without ECC ram, and ECC compatible ram, motherboard and cpu really jacks up the price of a self build

I'm going to keep the freeNAS option in mind, but are there any other options (self build or retail) for my needs?

I'm looking to build a NAS and I want to be able to use it for 3 things: home file server, plex media server, owncloud

What do you guys recommend I go with for that functionality? Are there any out of the box solutions to handle this? I don't want to spend a ton of money on this, maybe $400-500 (including tax, shipping etc)

I've looked into freeNAS, and I know it has plugins for plex and owncloud which is great, but it seems that UFS is deprecated and ZFS is the only file system available on freeNAS going forward. I wouldn't be terribly comfortable running ZFS without ECC ram, and ECC compatible ram, motherboard and cpu really jacks up the price of a self build

I'm going to keep the freeNAS option in mind, but are there any other options (self build or retail) for my needs?

What amount of storage are you looking for? Are you looking for raid or a single drive?

Unfortunately you probably won't be able to build your own nas for that price. :(

I have a synology nas and it was fairly cheap and has the functionality that you are likely looking for.  :D

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

Country?

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

If its your first NAS, I have to recommend a WD My Cloud device.  They are inexpensive and offer TONS of functionability.  They also release their firmware so you can find 3rd party firmware from other people.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

some of the Qnap two bay units should fit into your price range along with 1-2 harddrives

i checked out the WD, qnap and synology stuff a while back. They seem interesting - how easy is it to install things like plex and owncloud on them?

I guess the reason why I originally wanted to build my own box was because I want to be able to expand over the years, which doesn't seem that possible with the prebuilt stuff. Another reason why I shy away from freeNAS is how difficult it seems to be to just add a single drive later down the road. You can just put it in its own vdev but if that drive goes down you lose everything. Which means the upgrade path for freeNAS boxes is upgrade many drives at the same time or dont upgrade at all

Anyone have any experience with NAS4free and Amahi? Do they have the kind of complexities that freeNAS has?

The installation of apps on Synology has been very easy for me. There is an app store type interface which you can use to add apps to your nas, all of them are free. In terms of wanting to expand your storage down the road, you could buy a nas with many bays and fill them as you go. Synology has a special type of raid setup available to deal with different sized drives if that is what you are looking for.

Unfortunately I have no experience with FreeNas etc., but if you are really stuck to that 400 to 500 dollar price range you really can't build your own nas of a decent quality.

FreeNas or any of the other types of buildityourself options are going to likely be much harder to figure out and deal with when compared to a prebuilt, prepackaged solution.

Once again it would be nice if you specified what amount of drives you are looking for and whether you care about raid mirroring of drives.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

Both Synology and Drobo have the capabilities that you're looking for. Most NAS vendors do. The hdd maker's versions are more turnkey.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Look up OpenMediaVault and omv-extras. You can get Plex set up pretty much automatically and there is a plugin for Owncloud as well that I haven't really used. Worst case you can still set up Owncloud manually just as easily as you can on any Debian system.

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12