Rate/comment my first PC build

Mystogan59

Hi guys, im building my first gaming rig and I would like you to rate it, critique it, whatever you like :D Tips are really welcomed too :) Also I will use the pc mostly for gaming on 1080p. Thanks for all your replies guys :)

GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri x

CPU: I5-4590

CPU cooler: GELID Solution tranquilo rev. 2

HDD: WD black 1TB

Case: Fractal Define R4

SSD: Crucial MX100 256gb

Motherboard: Msi H97 Gaming 3

Case fans: 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX 

PSU: Evga SuperNova 750W G2

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8gb 1866MHz (Guess 16gb is too overkill for gaming only, but I would have to buy it in future, right?)

Drop 8GB of RAM and put it toward getting a Z97 motherboard and a 4690k. Also no need to get a Caviar Black if you have an SSD. Might also be worth getting an EVGA G2 850W as opposed to 750W so you can 2-way CF in the future.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I'd swap that cooler out for a Hyper 212 evo or H100i.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Drop 8GB of RAM and put it toward getting a Z97 motherboard and a 4690k

What if he doesn't want to overclock?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Drop 8GB of RAM and put it toward getting a Z97 motherboard and a 4690k

Thanks, but wont I need it soon? Also I cant overclock :(

Then I definitely recommend getting a Xeon E3-1231 V3 instead.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

The sapphire will definitelly fit, since i will be removing the HDD cage. About the hyper 212 I've considered few days ago, but it seems that they are about the same and the tranquilo is by 10bucks cheaper so gotta go with it.. also 5 year warranty vs 2 years.

I will be using those 2 noctua fans as an intake and for outtake i plan to use the stock fans in define R4 on low/medium voltage, hope thats enough :)

What will the xeon e3-1231 bring me? I know it has hyperthreading but i wont do any video editing and i've read that it doesnt help in games :/ If you would be so kind and try to explain it to me ^^ 

Thank you all guys, for such quick quick responses!

should have gotten a smaller PSU and bigger Cooler

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

should have gotten a smaller PSU and bigger Cooler

The gelid tranq. rev 2 wont be enough? :/

You only need more than 8GB RAM if you're planning on running video editing or photography software and working with large media files. If so, definitely go for the 16GB RAM. Otherwise, I'd just buy a single 8GB stick for now, and focus on another 100W PSU, and maybe bump up the processor as @Archangel1994 mentioned.

Currently, I game with 50+ Chrome tabs open, Skype running, and about 3 different Audio Mixing / DSP / Routing programs open all at the same time, and I can still fire up photoshop with only 7GB/8GB RAM used. (I do need to close down the game or chrome to actually do any editing, but the point is you don't need 16GB unless you're planning on editing things yet)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

You only need more than 8GB RAM if you're planning on running video editing or photography software and working with large media files. If so, definitely go for the 16GB RAM. Otherwise, I'd just buy a single 8GB stick for now, and focus on another 100W PSU, and maybe bump up the processor as @Archangel1994 mentioned.

Currently, I game with 50+ Chrome tabs open, Skype running, and about 3 different Audio Mixing / DSP / Routing programs open all at the same time, and I can still fire up photoshop with only 7GB/8GB RAM used. (I do need to close down the game or chrome to actually do any editing, but the point is you don't need 16GB unless you're planning on editing things yet)

Thanks, such example was really really helpful :) If I invest in better CPU what will it bring me in gaming? So far I've heard there is almost no difference between I5 and xeon

The gelid tranq. rev 2 wont be enough? :/

it is but you could have saved money on the psu and spent it on a bigger cooler

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

So since i will be buying 8gb of ram, should i get 1 stick or 2 because of dual channel? Also as i save the money i was thinking of giving the money towards 780 rather than PSU or the CPU where i see no point (obviously i might be wrong) any ideas if i should get 780 and have no worries or getting 290 and be worried about drivers, black screens which plagues 290/290x, bigger noise, more heat and most importantly i've found out that those graphics have about 15% failure rate compared to nvidia's 1-2%... i know im paying about 40% more for 15-20% more performance but i think those facts that i've stated before should have been considered... what do you guys think?

Hi guys, im building my first gaming rig and I would like you to rate it, critique it, whatever you like :D Tips are really welcomed too :) Also I will use the pc mostly for gaming on 1080p. Thanks for all your replies guys :)

GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri x

CPU: I5-4590

CPU cooler: GELID Solution tranquilo rev. 2

HDD: WD black 1TB

Case: Fractal Define R4

SSD: Crucial MX100 256gb

Motherboard: Msi H97 Gaming 3

Case fans: 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX 

PSU: Evga SuperNova 750W G2

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8gb 1866MHz (Guess 16gb is too overkill for gaming only, but I would have to buy it in future, right?)

It is basically a very good build.

I would suggest dropping the Noctua fans and putting in a Hyper 212 EVO or possibly one of the bigger Noctua coolers. The gpu will draw air in and push it up towards the cpu. The cpu cooler will then direct air towards the rear exhaust fan. If you feel that you need more positive input you can move the rear fan to the front and let the Hyper 212 push air out the open rear vent. I would leave the top & side vents covered.

Hopefully the psu is the 220-G2-0750-XR model.

16GB is a bit large for gaming but if the budget can take it, it is always better to get a larger kit rather than plan on upgrading. Getting memory from different kits to work at their advertised speed can be challenging at times.

Personally I think the price premium on the WD Black is not worth it. Especially if the primary drive is an ssd.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

It is basically a very good build.

I would suggest dropping the Noctua fans and putting in a Hyper 212 EVO or possibly one of the bigger Noctua coolers. The gpu will draw air in and push it up towards the cpu. The cpu cooler will then direct air towards the rear exhaust fan. If you feel that you need more positive input you can move the rear fan to the front and let the Hyper 212 push air out the open rear vent. I would leave the top & side vents covered.

Hopefully the psu is the 220-G2-0750-XR model.

16GB is a bit large for gaming but if the budget can take it, it is always better to get a larger kit rather than plan on upgrading. Getting memory from different kits to work at their advertised speed can be challenging at times.

Personally I think the price premium on the WD Black is not worth it. Especially if the primary drive is an ssd.

Wow that is so freaking helpful :o Thank you very much! The PSU indeed is  220-G2-0750-XR  model :)

I will mostlikely get the 8gb now and then try to add 4gb more if needed in the future, hopefully it will work.

I've chosen black due to its 5 year warranty, really low failure rate and fast overall and tbh I dont want to change it much :D

Im not so sure about the 780 though (compared to 290)... pros: lower heat, lower noise, good drivers, low failure rate, little bit lower power draw (not that it matter much), shadowplay, no blackscreens as on 290/290x as i've heard... and there is quite lot of them

but on the other hand the con: 40% more price for 15-20% performance gain soooo thats quite tough decision... although i will save quite bit on those rams so it shouldnt be a problem.. but still :/ Any ideas? :D

@Mystogan59,

Tough choice on the gpu. I tend to prefer the R9 290 as it is arguably better in gaming and less expensive, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1036 & http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2014-vga-charts/compare,3593.html?prod%5B6939%5D=on∏%5B6946%5D=on.

@Mystogan59,

Tough choice on the gpu. I tend to prefer the R9 290 as it is arguably better in gaming and less expensive, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1036 & http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2014-vga-charts/compare,3593.html?prod%5B6939%5D=on∏%5B6946%5D=on.

Would you please help me with one more thing? If instead of GPU i will spent the money on CPU (4690K) and let someone help me to OC it to 4.4-4.7GHz what will be the gaming FPS difference again 4590 on 3.3GHz? I know it looks like a really really big difference paper wise... but how big exactly is the difference in games? Thanks again! :)

Would you please help me with one more thing? If instead of GPU i will spent the money on CPU (4690K) and let someone help me to OC it to 4.4-4.7GHz what will be the gaming FPS difference again 4590 on 3.3GHz? I know it looks like a really really big difference paper wise... but how big exactly is the difference in games? Thanks again! :)

In gaming the gpu makes a much bigger difference. Except in cpu intensive games even a 500MHz bump would likely mean less than 3 fps, if that. Take a look at the graph on http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html. Check out the i5-3570K (3.4GHz) and i5-3470 (3.2GHz), fps is the same. The difference in Thief, http://www.techspot.com/review/787-thief-benchmarks/page4.html, is just 1 fps.

In gaming the gpu makes a much bigger difference. Except in cpu intensive games even a 500MHz bump would likely mean less than 3 fps, if that. Take a look at the graph on http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html. Check out the i5-3570K (3.4GHz) and i5-3470 (3.2GHz), fps is the same. The difference in Thief, http://www.techspot.com/review/787-thief-benchmarks/page4.html, is just 1 fps.

Wow, thank you so much :) Will just spend money on 780, i know its pricey but at least its troublefree to certain point :) Thanks everybody for your help!