Hd 7950 temperature

Go to solution Solved by Wats,

Look under the cooler. Prolly really bad paste job. It is RMA after all, it could of been a used return or one that didn't make it into a retail box.

ZcNziYg.jpg

Hello everyone,

I recently had to send off my hd 7950 to be repaired as it had a fan issue and now i have it back it seems to be running hotter then it used to be. With default clock speeds and automatic fan control the temperature on full load goes up to 79 degrees with the room temperature at 25 degrees.

Is this a normal temperature for the card or is something wrong here?

The card is the MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3 boost edition.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd say that's normal, my 7950 doesn't go past 70 degrees but it's a windforce (has 3 fans).

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

thats still in the normal range. If thats the load temps then yeah its fine. I have the MSI verison of the 7950 and my temps while gaming its at most 65-70

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Take it off automatic fan control and setup a fan profile for it and you will notice a big difference in cooling..

my twin frozr 7950 only gets up to 70C with 1100/1350 and +20 power limit on stock voltages while stress testing with kombustor. I am using my own fan curve though so that may be why. I have heard of some people getting very poorly applied thermal compound on their MSI 7950's so if you feel up to it that is definitely something that you can do that will almost guarantee better temps.

Is this in game temperature or just sitting idle?

Edit: just re read your op. nvm.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Max safe operating temperature for the 7950 is approximately 93c, so you're fine.

Seriously? Hahaha I was worried cuz I saw someone yelling about how a 70* C is way to hot for a 7950 and that's what my max temp is. Look like i can lower my fan speed on my twin frozr and not have to lower my 1055/1525 clocks :P

I only hit that high in Unigen Valley anyway, so I should have nothing to be worried about :P.

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry about not replying sooner, i just overclocked the graphic card to 1100 core clock, 1500 memory clock and ran furmark bench mark to get a quick idea on temps and it maxed out at 91 Degrees so i'm starting to think that something might be up here, and i may re seat the thermal compound if it could help, i have a infrared thermometer which says the heatsink is only 45 degrees which doesn't seem right to me either. Thanks for all the responces guys

Look under the cooler. Prolly really bad paste job. It is RMA after all, it could of been a used return or one that didn't make it into a retail box.

ZcNziYg.jpg

I just reseated the thermal compound and it's running at 77 degrees on furmark overclocked to core clock 1100 and memory clock at 1500, Thanks for all the help guys! :P

When running benchmarks it's best to have your fans at 60 percent or higher also..

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the temp I have a 7870 Tahiti witch has the same core as the 7950 and with my overclock and the power target set to 20% I get up to around 85C. I wouldnt worry about your temps to much graphics cards have a lot higher of a thermal limit compared to a CPU I would only start to worry if your temps are going above 90C 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

Mine is currently running at 48C under load it goes up to 56C I have Sapphire Vapor-X

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

When running benchmarks it's best to have your fans at 60 percent or higher also..

The fan on automatic was running at 80% or so at it was still at 91 degrees before i reseated the thermal compound.

• 2 months later...

Mine is currently running at 48C under load it goes up to 56C I have Sapphire Vapor-X

Huge overclocking headroom. You are running it at stock ye? Once you feel like you need horsepower and unleash the real 7950 beast, OC it :)

Huge overclocking headroom. You are running it at stock ye? Once you feel like you need horsepower and unleash the real 7950 beast, OC it :)

Whenever I overclock it becomes very unstable even at a very low overclock, I have used the OC button which does give me a factory stable oc and haven't run into any problems with it yet.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat