Corsair K70 (MX Browns) or Logitech G710+ or Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 (Stealth Edition)

KFC FTW
Go to solution Solved by sqwidee,

As you can see from my profile im still a petty noob :P, so can you please tell me what the keybind software is for and why is Logitech's better in comparison to the K70?

Ok, so Logitech develops Logitech Gaming Software for all of its G series peripherals. This software allows you to set up multiple key profiles to the board which can be set for particular games. This is what you use to bind the G-keys to different commands or key macros.

The K70 completely lacks this kind of software, so you can't program any macros on it. However, the K70 RGB will have software to do this for all keys on the board. I think this means that when the K70RGB with brown switches comes out, it will be better than the G710, but that's just speculation as of now.

Corsair K70:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00CD1FC6G

Logitech G710+:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009C98NPY

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014:

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Ultimate-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00IG3GPTS

I want a fairly quite mechanical keyboard, hope you guys can help me decide :)

@KFC FTW It's worth having a wrist rest if you'll be using it for typing constantly, I'd choose either the Corsair K70 or Logitech G710+

MX Browns aren't my favourite but yeah.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I would recommend the CM Storm quickfire ultimate instead. It's usually cheaper than those 3 and it's an amazing keyboard.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I would definitely prefer the K70 (basic or RGB) just because it looks so sexy.

Between the K70 and the G710 the common issues are LEDs going out or keycaps breaking, respectively... so pick your poison.

I won't recommend Razer. Synapse = NO

I would recommend the CM Storm quickfire ultimate instead. It's usually cheaper than those 3 and it's an amazing keyboard.

And these CM keyboards are rock solid, just depends on the look you want, I guess.

Git Gud.

Personally I am using the G710+, but I also considered the K70 when I was planning my new keyboard.

I eliminated the CM storm pretty much immediately as I wanted a full keyboard with a numpad and all that, possibly even more. (G keys on the G710+, I wanted them)

If you don't need the G keys then there might not be a whole lot of reason to go for the G710+.

I am leaning towards recommending you the K70, unless you are like me, then it is the G710+.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Thanks for all the replies :) I think I am leaning on to the K70 or the g710+ and moving away from the Blackwidow. 

Thanks for all the replies :) I think I am leaning on to the K70 or the g710+ and moving away from the Blackwidow. 

I forgot, G710 definitely wins for keybind software right now.

Git Gud.

Just curious now but, what are you running at the moment? Also do you play game that could benefit from the additional G keys on the G710+?

If I recall correctly the K70 allows you to control the back-lighting more than the G710+. The G710+ has WASD and the rest controlled separately, but I think that the K70 has them controlled individually, I could be horribly wrong here but it is something you may want to consider. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I forgot, G710 definitely wins for keybind software right now.

As you can see from my profile im still a petty noob :P, so can you please tell me what the keybind software is for and why is Logitech's better in comparison to the K70?

Just curious now but, what are you running at the moment? Also do you play game that could benefit from the additional G keys on the G710+?

If I recall correctly the K70 allows you to control the back-lighting more than the G710+. The G710+ has WASD and the rest controlled separately, but I think that the K70 has them controlled individually, I could be horribly wrong here but it is something you may want to consider. 

I play games such as Dota 2, Borderlands 2, and Counterstirke Global Offensive. Although i mostly play Dota 2, and now that youve mentioned it i think the g keys might be useful for Dota 2

Ok, so Logitech develops Logitech Gaming Software for all of its G series peripherals. This software allows you to set up multiple key profiles to the board which can be set for particular games. This is what you use to bind the G-keys to different commands or key macros.

The K70 completely lacks this kind of software, so you can't program any macros on it. However, the K70 RGB will have software to do this for all keys on the board. I think this means that when the K70RGB with brown switches comes out, it will be better than the G710, but that's just speculation as of now.

Git Gud.

K70.

Razer makes terrible keyboards and the raised actuation point on the new switches makes it almost impossible not to bottom out. Not to mention they use Kahil switches. 

The G710+ has terrible keycaps that are known to break. Also it only comes in brown switches with white backlighting.

The dead LED problem was mainly an issue with the first few runs of the K70. You can get it in a variety of switches, colors, and finishes. 

Also if you want a quiet board, get O-rings.

you could always hotkey or macro with Auto Hotkey Which is a more complete rebinding software anyway.

For reliability i would say the Logi board. I don't really like the feel of the volume wheel but it works well enough. Very reliable if you want the LEDs on all the time, but if you just want a good keyboard and don't want the LEDs on all the time i would say go with the K70. Best feeling board I have ever used.

• 3 months later...

What do you choose? I'm between Logitech G710+ and the Razer BWU 2014

Intel i5 4440 @ 3.10Hz • GA-Z97X-SLI • GTX 970 G1 • x2 Hyper X 8GB 1866MHz • SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Hitachi 7200rpm 1TB • NZXT S340 Elite • Thermaltake 750W smart series • Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) • Logitech G502 | Razer deathadder 2013 (Died in battle) • Sennheiser HD58X • Audio-technica ATH-M50X • Hyper X Cloud 2 • Samsung 24'' CFG70 Curved Gaming Monitor •