How powerful was the ps3 when it came out

SirNumbers

How about we just say dreamcast then? :P

Cause even that is a crazy concept to think about

[...]

Also not the first guys to have said that either. John Carmack said the same thing last year to. And again by what we have seen being pulled out of the 360/PS3 with current multiplatforms, isn't that crazy of an idea.

Means we would be looking at the capabilities of a 280x ish or 770 as a more accurate representation of at least the PS4.

Fair call on saying it's more like the Dreamcast, it's probably more accurate. I still think my comparison is better especially given that OoT came out in '98

As for the pushing the goal-posts for optimisation. Eh. I think it's more a case of some PC games being poorly optimised plus there's a trend of multi-platform titles being locked to 30fps on both anyways. Swings and roundabouts. Either way when the 360 launched it was on paper, before optimisations, on par with the highest end GPU on the market. The equivalent of what would now be something like a 780Ti. These new consoles don't have anything like that sort of power relatively speaking, if you were to use the same metric that made the 360 "high end" for it's time you'd say these new consoles are "equivalent" to low-end gaming PCs.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Fair call on saying it's more like the Dreamcast, it's probably more accurate. I still think my comparison is better especially given that OoT came out in '98

As for the pushing the goal-posts for optimisation. Eh. I think it's more a case of some PC games being poorly optimised plus there's a trend of multi-platform titles being locked to 30fps on both anyways. Swings and roundabouts. Either way when the 360 launched it was on paper, before optimisations, on par with the highest end GPU on the market. The equivalent of what would now be something like a 780Ti. These new consoles don't have anything like that sort of power relatively speaking, if you were to use the same metric that made the 360 "high end" for it's time you'd say these new consoles are "equivalent" to low-end gaming PCs.

Well, if you're going to classify what GPU that is in the PS4 as low end, then where would you place a system with a GTX580?

Also with the editing of my post, hope that means you're not just ignoring that stuff, or given the link a look?

Well, if you're going to classify what GPU that is in the PS4 as low end, then where would you place a system with a GTX580?

Also with the editing of my post, hope that means you're not just ignoring that stuff, or given the link a look?

Mid-range....... and I did read the article, as I said the same thing applied to the previous consoles. Games optimised to the same degree on both these new console and PC perform on-par with an R7 260x because that's the equivalent level of power. When the 360 launched you couldn't do the same. When the 360 launched you would have had to buy the equivalent of what would be a 780Ti today to get what you can do now for these new consoles with an 260x. That's my point.

Mid-range....... and I did read the article, as I said the same thing applied to the previous consoles. Games optimised to the same degree on both these new console and PC perform on-par with an R7 260x because that's the equivalent level of power. When the 360 launched you couldn't do the same. When the 360 launched you would have had to buy the equivalent of what would be a 780Ti today to get what you can do now for these new consoles with an 260x. That's my point.

Well if a GTX580 is mid range, then a ps4 is mid to high range as it has a more powerful spec GPU.

hmmmmm, the 360 GPU is based around the X1800 from Ati...yes Ati :P, which isn't in the same class as the 780ti, as there was at least variants of the x1900 that were certainly more powerful than it. Instead of 780ti we are prob more looking at more a 770/780, though really we should be looking at AMD for comparisons, which is the 7870/270 to 7950/280. So yeah they are perhaps one tier down from previous gens, but they certainly aren't in the low range, mid for X1 and mid-high for ps4 perhaps. Also I mean mid-high when compared to the more general population, not so much a tech orientated forum which has a different scale of what is acceptable, hell my systems HD5850 on paper should have more GPU power than the PS4, but I know those numbers aren't equal.

Well if a GTX580 is mid range, then a ps4 is mid to high range as it has a more powerful spec GPU. [...]

580 is about on par with a 760, PS4 is closer to a 750Ti. I don't know how you can seriously think these consoles are on-par with 770/780 if that's what you're trying to say. Those tier cards, particularly the 780, can run a fair number of modern games at 1440p at framerates these new consoles can barely manage at 1080p. Not even in the same ballpark.

I'm ok with saying the PS4 is maybe as good as a 760 with a game that's optimised for PS4 particularly if the PC it's running against has a gimped CPU. 770? 780? No. Not even close.

580 is about on par with a 760, PS4 is closer to a 750Ti. I don't know how you can seriously think these consoles are on-par with 770/780 if that's what you're trying to say. Those tier cards, particularly the 780, can run a fair number of modern games at 1440p at framerates these new consoles can barely manage at 1080p. Not even in the same ballpark.

I'm ok with saying the PS4 is maybe as good as a 760 with a game that's optimised for PS4 particularly if the PC it's running against has a gimped CPU. 770? 780? No. Not even close.

Hmm yeah was comparing wrong tiers between AMD/Nivida. So yeah the GPUs are a little lower, but like you said, if a 580 is mid, then the PS4 GPU is somewhere between mid and high.

I'll use the numbers to show where the cards actually rank to each other.

GTX 580 - 1581.1 GFLOPS performance

750 Ti - 1306

PS4 GPU - 1843.2

The power difference ( GPU wise) between the ps4 and 580 is close to the same as the 580 to the 750Ti