Moving Windows from 1 PC to another.

Alex Branham

Hi so my current computer I bought from walmart for $300 and did some minor upgrades to the PSU(650W) and GPU(GTx 650) 3years ago when I was 17 and had almost no money. Now I'm starting to save to build a new one and I was just wanting to know if I could move my current windows to the new build or will I need to pay $100 for Windows 7?  And if I can move Windows 7 how would I do so?

Get your Product Key, can do so using something like http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ or ProduKey. Write it down somewhere.

Get an ISO for your appropriate version of Windows 7; eg home premium, professional, 32bit/64bit. Findable here - legal, if you have a key already, and you do. http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/ Note: Make sure you download the right version or it will not work,

Create media (flash drive or disc) using the ISO and something like PowerISO, Unetbootin, etc.

Deactivate the key. Run this command in an elevated (administrator) command prompt.

slmgr.vbs /upk 

Install Windows 7 using the media you created 2 steps ago. Product key is the one you wrote down earlier.

Done.

And will that work without hurting my current pc? if so I'll go ahead and do it lol

And will that work without hurting my current pc? if so I'll go ahead and do it lol

You never quoted or tagged me, so I never looked back at this thread, my apologies. That will deactivate the Windows key on your current PC, meaning you'll need another one for Windows to be genuine again, your data will be fine regardless. Each key is only valid for one computer at a time.

You never quoted or tagged me, so I never looked back at this thread, my apologies. That will deactivate the Windows key on your current PC, meaning you'll need another one for Windows to be genuine again, your data will be fine regardless. Each key is only valid for one computer at a time.

K ty thats what I thougt it would do so I should wait untill I get my other pc ready to do this.

The original machine sounds like prebuilt. Those keys may or may not work with another motherboard.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The original machine sounds like prebuilt. Those keys may or may not work with another motherboard.

Yeah that what I heard from a friend and wasn't sure rly didn't want to spend $100 extra on my PC pushing the budget as is tyvm