Shall I stay with 3 Screens .. or change to UltraWide ?

adnank77

So currently I own Three of this Monitor: 

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S27B970D-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B007M4UUF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406969936&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+series+9+monitor

It's a lovely monitor .. However, being primarily a gamer, I have the following issues with the 3-screens setup: 

- Many games are not optimized for 3 screens .. Things don't look as they are supposed to look (e.g. Watch Dogs) .. Although other games are fine with 3 screens (e.g. Black Flag). 

- Even if some games work fine with 3 screens (e.g. Titanfall), the performance drop is HUGE .. Unplayable .. So I have to stick with Single Screen in such games :(

- Small compatibility issues and glitches here and there (not serious, but annoying). 

- I'm using the DVI & DP for PC Connectivity. The center monitor is also hooked to PS4 using HDMI .. If I want to buy XBONE, Then I have to connect it to a side monitor which will not be comfortable (I don't like couch gaming, prefer desk) .. 

I'm seriously considering replacing the three monitors with the following: 

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM95-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GCZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406970324&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+ultrawide+34

Advantage that I will get: 

- Still maintaining the high screen real estate (compared to single standard monitor). 

- less pixels, so games with performance issues have better chance to run fine. 

- no eyefinity related glitches. 

- Two HDMI inputs for consoles as the PC will go to the DP 

Any advice guys ? Will I be doing the right choice going this direction in your opinion ?

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

I wouldn't get three monitors for gaming primarily, I would get three monitors for having my game on the centre monitor, and my LTT, youtube, twitter, etc on my other two. If it were me I would stick with three monitors because although the wide monitor would be sweet for games, it would still just be one monitor. And me having been using dual monitors for the past year or so, I could not see myself using a single monitor.

If you don't mind losing the screen real estate it'd be a tempting choice.

Depends what you use the other monitors for when you're not gaming. If it's a movie while you browse, I'd keep the multiples.

Anything else and I'd probably go with the ultrawide.

You can always save one of the Samsungs and have it off to the side.

I'd consider the AOC 34" monitor coming out soon, should be significantly cheaper if you don't care about losing the high watt speakers and Thunderbolt connectivity.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Do the ultrawide dude, they are beautiful and honestly I want one so bad but I don't have 1000$ to throw at a monitor..

You could look at the scaled down version that is 1080p but just lacking a few features, still super wide and 34 inches however.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM65-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GBHO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406971079&sr=8-2&keywords=34+lg

Do the ultrawide dude, they are beautiful and honestly I want one so bad but I don't have 1000$ to throw at a monitor..

You could look at the scaled down version that is 1080p but just lacking a few features, still super wide and 34 inches however.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM65-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GBHO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406971079&sr=8-2&keywords=34+lg

Um ultra wides would look horrible to be honest with you...1440p is meant for 27" screens and not much bigger without loosing pixels or stretching them out....34" would have to be something bigger then 1440p to look right. Just my opinion tho.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

I could not imagine gaming on an ultra wide monitor.  I saw a 29" one in store and it looks like half a monitor and is wider.  I would not recommend it at all for gaming.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I could not imagine gaming on an ultra wide monitor.  I saw a 29" one in store and it looks like half a monitor and is wider.  I would not recommend it at all for gaming.

I think personally 3 23" screens is the sweet spot for gaming but its an opinion of what you like...I think 34" on a single monitor would be too over whelming especially with no curve on the monitor at any point.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

So Ive been struggleing with this same question for days. 

I was really leaning twards the 34UM95 myself. The problem is that everyone is hiking up the prices $300 because they are in short supply in the us. Their retail should be $1000 and they are going for $1300 in most cases. However, Im considering waiting this one out because of how many amazing reviews ive seen. Not to mention the video linus did on it sold it pretty hard. Also, great software helping with multi-monitor simultation to maximize the space and also the fact it has thunderbook for when I use it with my macbook pro as well as display port for my desktop was HUGE for me. 

However, there is not way of telling how long that wait will be. I think its really an amazing thing now having seen one in person. however, my monitors are really starting to hurt my eyes after a day of programming and Im not sure I can take it anymore. So, If you find anything better than $1300 jump on it and let me know where you found it here too. 

Seems that selling the 3 monitors won't be as easy as I thought .. 

What price should I expect for each monitor ? I bought each for 1000$ .. what's the sweet spot now for used (around a year) ? 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

I use triple monitors for better workflow. I am able to game on eyefinity but I don't bother because it messes with my displayfusion. 

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors