Opinions On My Future Build.

Hi everyone,

I am doing my first build very soon, and I wanted everyone's opinion on it before I buy the parts. I am a little iffy on the motherboard but I think I found one I like. I was also wondering how some people like the MSI BIOS. Here are the links:

Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qt9gFT

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130776&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Hi everyone,

I am doing my first build very soon, and I wanted everyone's opinion on it before I buy the parts. I am a little iffy on the motherboard but I think I found one I like. I was also wondering how some people like the MSI BIOS. Here are the links:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130776&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Look ok to me. I dont know about the G55 but it should be a decent card, I still like the G45 Gaming more though :P And I have a MSI Z87 GD65 and it's a very good board and good Bios for me

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Hi everyone,

Please don't get the V300 SSDs

Save some money and get HyperX Fury

EVGA 770 ACX would be my personal choice over the Asus

CX600 isn't great in terms of components (CX750 is better, or if you want to stick with 600W then get the EVGA 600B)

The mobo is fine. Z97-A is my favorite but that one should do perfectly fine :)

"Rawr XD"

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bfxwyc

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bfxwyc/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($234.99 @ NCIX US) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($22.99 @ Micro Center) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($78.82 @ NCIX US) 

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.40 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $1066.15

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 15:21 EDT-0400\

This is a much better computer for your money, i know its a little more expensive than your budget 1000$'s I assume but it is worth it 100%

Look ok to me. I dont know about the G55 but it should be a decent card, I still like the G45 Gaming more though :P And I have a MSI Z87 GD65 and it's a very good board and good Bios for me

Thanks for the input on the BIOS.

Please don't get the V300 SSDs

Save some money and get HyperX Fury

EVGA 770 ACX would be my personal choice over the Asus

CX600 isn't great in terms of components (CX750 is better, or if you want to stick with 600W then get the EVGA 600B)

The mobo is fine. Z97-A is my favorite but that one should do perfectly fine :)

I want to get a modular power supply, do you think it is worth is to get a 80 + gold one? Also whats wrong with the storage I have chosen? I also want faster memory for video editing.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bfxwyc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bfxwyc/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($234.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($22.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($78.82 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.40 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1066.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 15:21 EDT-0400\
This is a much better computer for your money, i know its a little more expensive than your budget 1000$'s I assume but it is worth it 100%

What is wrong with the current storage set up? I want to stick with a Nvidia graphics card.

Hello and welcome to the LTT forum

Have made a few edits to your build that I think will benefit you in the long run.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nG2PQ7

First off I replaced your motherboard with something that I thought would fit your build more. This is purely from and aesthetic stand point and performs about the same.

Next I replaced the kingston ssd with an 840 evo. This is simply because they are a better performing ssd. That is not to say that the kinston one would deliver a sub par experience I simply feel that the samsung one is better. 

I replaced your ram with a red version. Again simply aesthetic change if this doesn't matter. I would also say that upgrading to 16 gb ram, though it isn't a must, would deliver a better experience in some usage scenarios.

I replaced the semi modular supply with a full modular one as it makes cable management easier and is easier to sleeve should you decide to do that. I also made it a 750 wat if you should chose to get another 770. Decrease wattage should you not want to do that.

I would also suggest a corsair AIO liquid cooler as it would perform better and look better in the system.

Answering your question on the MSi BIOS. I have never heard any complaints.

Hope this helps. :)

I want to get a modular power supply,

do you think it is worth is to get a 80 + gold one?

Also whats wrong with the storage I have chosen?

I also want faster memory for video editing.

I want to stick with a Nvidia graphics card.

1. EVGA NEX750B

2. IMO no

3. V300 are probably the worst SSDs you can buy at the moment, SanDisk is putting cheap NAND into them after all the reviews got out. Bait and switch scam

4. HyperX Fury is just as fast tbh

5. Why nVidia?

"Rawr XD"

Hello and welcome to the LTT forum

Have made a few edits to your build that I think will benefit you in the long run.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nG2PQ7

First off I replaced your motherboard with something that I thought would fit your build more. This is purely from and aesthetic stand point and performs about the same.

Next I replaced the kingston ssd with an 840 evo. This is simply because they are a better performing ssd. That is not to say that the kinston one would deliver a sub par experience I simply feel that the samsung one is better. 

I replaced your ram with a red version. Again simply aesthetic change if this doesn't matter. I would also say that upgrading to 16 gb ram, though it isn't a must, would deliver a better experience in some usage scenarios.

I replaced the semi modular supply with a full modular one as it makes cable management easier and is easier to sleeve should you decide to do that. I also made it a 750 wat if you should chose to get another 770. Decrease wattage should you not want to do that.

I would also suggest a corsair AIO liquid cooler as it would perform better and look better in the system.

Answering your question on the MSi BIOS. I have never heard any complaints.

Hope this helps. :)

Price was also bumped up?

"Rawr XD"

I want to get a modular power supply, do you think it is worth is to get a 80 + gold one? Also whats wrong with the storage I have chosen? I also want faster memory for video editing.

What is wrong with the current storage set up? I want to stick with a Nvidia graphics card.

It is always a good investment to get a 80+ gold as it will save you or your parents money in the long run.

There is nothing wrong with the storage I just feel the samsung is a better performing drive. I would also suggest switching out the seagate drive for a WD Black. Again personal opinion and preference. :)

Price was also bumped up?

Minimally. I tried to keep it down and should he decide to stay with some of his original components rather than my suggested ones the price will go back down.

I am a firm believer in saving a little more for a better product. :)

The G2 is the number one PSU I'd choose for 750W, but sometimes full modular and 80+ Gold isn't worth the extra cost

I disagree. The PSU is the most important part of the pc. The NEX you suggested is not a very good psu. There are other alternatives to the G2 such as XFX, Seasonic, Antec etc. Looking at the initial spec, the op probably doesn't need a 750w psu anyway, unless he plans on running 2 cards.

So for the added price, what would be the order of components to change? It seems to be my SSD then my PSU. It sounds and looks like the G2 is a good PSU, but what does everyone recommend for an SSD? Should I spend the extra money on PSU or SSD?

I disagree. The PSU is the most important part of the pc. The NEX you suggested is not a very good psu. There are other alternatives to the G2 such as XFX, Seasonic, Antec etc. Looking at the initial spec, the op probably doesn't need a 750w psu anyway, unless he plans on running 2 cards.

It's not the best PSU but it'll get the job done. Same with the CX750M that was in the build I showed. They're decent PSUs for what you pay for, especially seeing how people pay big bucks for the crap Corsair RMs

"Rawr XD"

So for the added price, what would be the order of components to change? It seems to be my SSD then my PSU. It sounds and looks like the G2 is a good PSU, but what does everyone recommend for an SSD? Should I spend the extra money on PSU or SSD?

SSD, in general anything that's better then a V300. When it gets to that level you don't really notice a different between the XLR8, 840 EVO, etc.

PSU if you want a good quality one then get the 750G2

"Rawr XD"