Key Cover IC42 Repair Help

ㅤㅤeij298
Go to solution Solved by sacratoy,

These videos show removing macbook pro keys, but they are the same scissor type key mechanism.

From my experience, there is no full proof way to do this. Basically you'll need a small flathead screwdriver than you can lift the keycap with, and patiently try to get the hinges on the scissor clip to pop. From there, switching the clips themselves and replacing the keys is pretty easy.

There are a lot of videos on youtube describing the process. Most will be videos of Apple products, but they all use the same basic chicklet scissor clip system. 

I have a thinkpad t530 with a IC42 chiclet keyboard. If you don't know what I'm talking about check http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/servlet/the-25792/Lenovo-T530-Keyboard-Key/Detail. My D key cover broke and no longer stays attached to the hinges, because the plastic stubs that were latched to the little holes, or hinges, broke and now i have a flat piece of plastic. Rather than buy a whole new replacement keyboard or order a new key, I would like to remove a key cover I don't use and replace the D key cover with it. Unfortunately I do not know how to take off the key cover and I don't want to force the cover off and break it. I only have a few keys that I don't use at all for replacement key covers and those keys would be my bracket keys. My + and - and ~ are last resort keys if I break the bracket covers. If anyone knows how to take off and transfer these key covers, I would be so grateful.

These videos show removing macbook pro keys, but they are the same scissor type key mechanism.

From my experience, there is no full proof way to do this. Basically you'll need a small flathead screwdriver than you can lift the keycap with, and patiently try to get the hinges on the scissor clip to pop. From there, switching the clips themselves and replacing the keys is pretty easy.

There are a lot of videos on youtube describing the process. Most will be videos of Apple products, but they all use the same basic chicklet scissor clip system. 

Thank you so much sacratoy! I got my right bracket key cover off in my first try after watching those videos. Now I can use my D key again :D