Potential build

Hello all, I  am thinking of replacing my old PC, I plan to use it for mainly gaming and college work. I hope to be able to run games such as Battlefield 4 at around 60 fps. I will mainly be using this rig for gaming and I will be be playing some processor intensive games, such as ARMA III. I am not planning to overclock as I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I don't want to try anything I don't know about. I shall list the parts that I am thinking of getting;

Processor - Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard - I need some help with this, I have been looking at the Z-87a LGA1150, but I am still indecisive about it.

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (what does superclocked mean? Sorry, I am pretty terrible with parts themselves)

Case - I also need help with this, I am looking for a cheap case with good cooling, maybe a window but that isn't a necessity

PSU - Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (is this overkill for this build?)

Optical Drive - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I am looking to limit this to around £825, which it is currently at on PartPicker with a random £32.99 case and my preferred choice of Motherboard, an Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard. I have some knowledge with parts but not a lot so all feedback is appreciated, if you could help me nail down what motherboard and case I should get I would be very grateful. Also, if you recommend me changing my PSU because I do not need it, and then spending money on something else that would be great as well. 

PartPicker - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3vSaU

All the best, Brad. 

Unless you plan to SLI, that PSU is kinda useless...

For motherboard, the Z87-A is great!!!!

Oh, and the Corsair 300R or if you want a little more expensive 450D

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Unless you plan to SLI, that PSU is kinda useless...

For motherboard, the Z87-A is great!!!!

Oh, and the Corsair 300R or if you want a little more expensive 450D

Do you have any PSU in mind? Also, is it bad if I don't know what SLI is?...

Do you have any PSU in mind? Also, is it bad if I don't know what SLI is?...

Look at Linus' techquickie video about SLI and Crossfire...

CX600W is good

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Look at Linus' techquickie video about SLI and Crossfire...

CX600W is good

Will do now, thanks! :)

Hello all, I  am thinking of replacing my old PC, I plan to use it for mainly gaming and college work. I hope to be able to run games such as Battlefield 4 at around 60 fps. I will mainly be using this rig for gaming and I will be be playing some processor intensive games, such as ARMA III. I am not planning to overclock as I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I don't want to try anything I don't know about. I shall list the parts that I am thinking of getting;

Processor - Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard - I need some help with this, I have been looking at the Z-87a LGA1150, but I am still indecisive about it.

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (what does superclocked mean? Sorry, I am pretty terrible with parts themselves)

Case - I also need help with this, I am looking for a cheap case with good cooling, maybe a window but that isn't a necessity

PSU - Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (is this overkill for this build?)

Optical Drive - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I am looking to limit this to around £825, which it is currently at on PartPicker with a random £32.99 case and my preferred choice of Motherboard, an Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard. I have some knowledge with parts but not a lot so all feedback is appreciated, if you could help me nail down what motherboard and case I should get I would be very grateful. Also, if you recommend me changing my PSU because I do not need it, and then spending money on something else that would be great as well. 

PartPicker - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3vSaU

All the best, Brad. 

If you can somehow expand your budget, this build will give you the absolute best possible performance for your money.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqG9

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqG9/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqG9/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£161.94 @ Scan.co.uk)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£90.89 @ CCL Computers)

Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£52.30 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (£48.78 @ Aria PC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£33.59 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (£359.98 @ Dabs)

Case: Cooler Master K280 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£32.58 @ CCL Computers)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£45.74 @ CCL Computers)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive  (£10.78 @ Scan.co.uk)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£54.90 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £916.93

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-24 04:19 BST+0100)

Here is a build closer to your budget that will perform very similar, probably better off going with this 2nd build because the difference between the R9 290 and GTX780 is very small and definitely not worth an additional 100 pounds.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqJy

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqJy/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqJy/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£62.95 @ Ebuyer)

Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£52.30 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (£48.78 @ Aria PC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£33.59 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  (£305.04 @ Ebuyer)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£45.74 @ CCL Computers)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£54.90 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £834.05

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-24 04:22 BST+0100)

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you can somehow expand your budget, this build will give you the absolute best possible performance for your money.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqG9

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqG9/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqG9/benchmarks/

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£90.89 @ CCL Computers)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (£359.98 @ Dabs)

Total: £916.93

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-24 04:19 BST+0100)

Here is a build closer to your budget that will perform very similar, probably better off going with this 2nd build because the difference between the R9 290 and GTX780 is very small and definitely not worth an additional 100 pounds.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqJy

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqJy/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3xqJy/benchmarks/

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£62.95 @ Ebuyer)

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  (£305.04 @ Ebuyer)

Total: £834.05

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-24 04:22 BST+0100)

Thank you very much for all the time you put into writing this, it was well and truly appreciated! Do you recommend the motherboard, a lot of the reviews written for it say that it has a high chance of causing problems.

Thank you very much for all the time you put into writing this, it was well and truly appreciated! Do you recommend the motherboard, a lot of the reviews written for it say that it has a high chance of causing problems.

Which motherboard?  There are two different ones that I picked out.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Which motherboard?  There are two different ones that I picked out.

Sorry, forgot about that, the : MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard is what I was talking about, some reviews say it is fantastic some say it was broken from the minute they got it.

Sorry, forgot about that, the : MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard is what I was talking about, some reviews say it is fantastic some say it was broken from the minute they got it.

If at all possible, buy your motherboard in-store.  Mobo is a really fragile component, and they aren't packaged as well as I believe they should be which leads to damaging during shipping.  I had the same thing happen to me with a more expensive Asus motherboard, I exchanged it in-store and it worked just fine.  All products have a fail rate and that could just be an example of a part arriving DoA.  I personally don't think there is anything wrong with that motherboard, and it will suit your needs perfectly while allowing for future upgrades.

I'm looking at reviews of it now, and a lot of people are complaining about a lack of SLI support.  They are downgrading a product because of their own mistake of not researching their purchase properly.  This one guys puts it into context:

"For people who complain about the quality of this board... Remember, up to 10% of motherboards will come as DOA or showing some defect. And given how many boards Newegg and other retailers sell, the chances of getting a dead board are slim. Don't blame the manufacturer. It would be nice if the retailers would check their components just before shipping to make sure you dont get a dead part.

For the folks who bought the board thinking it supported SLI when they put "Multi GPU Support" on the box. That's your fault for not researching the part properly first. Don't blame the company for your inability to research what you're buying first."

If at all possible, buy your motherboard in-store.  Mobo is a really fragile component, and they aren't packaged as well as I believe they should be which leads to damaging during shipping.  I had the same thing happen to me with a more expensive Asus motherboard, I exchanged it in-store and it worked just fine.  All products have a fail rate and that could just be an example of a part arriving DoA.  I personally don't think there is anything wrong with that motherboard, and it will suit your needs perfectly while allowing for future upgrades.

I'm looking at reviews of it now, and a lot of people are complaining about a lack of SLI support.  They are downgrading a product because of their own mistake of not researching their purchase properly.  This one guys puts it into context:

"For people who complain about the quality of this board... Remember, up to 10% of motherboards will come as DOA or showing some defect. And given how many boards Newegg and other retailers sell, the chances of getting a dead board are slim. Don't blame the manufacturer. It would be nice if the retailers would check their components just before shipping to make sure you dont get a dead part.

For the folks who bought the board thinking it supported SLI when they put "Multi GPU Support" on the box. That's your fault for not researching the part properly first. Don't blame the company for your inability to research what you're buying first."

Thank you very much Sir, you have been a great help!