High temperatures i7 4770 at 100% usage

Hello Linusfans,

I didn't post here in a while, but I'm a bit worried about something. Whenever my pc is running at 100% load (rendering a video right now) the temperatures are raising up to about 95° Celcius (it doesn't go much higher than that). 

I know Haswell and Ivy Bridge are natively running pretty hot when running at high clocks, but are these temperatures still safe? 

I have an i7 4770 and I'm using the stock cooler.

Whenever my computer isn't running 100% my temperatures stay pretty low. ~40° Celcius at idle.

Greetings,

Earleys.

Wow that's not healthy for the CPU!

Get atleast a Hyper 212 Evo or better it if it's that hot.

Yeah no as Paralectic said that's definitely not good.. It's most likely the stock cooler, is it overclocked?

No it's not overclocked, and it's only running this hot at full load. Temperatures are normal while gaming or multitasking. 

No it's not overclocked, and it's only running this hot at full load. Temperatures are normal while gaming or multitasking. 

Well considering it reaches these temperatures at max load when you're performing such a heavy task like video rendering than I myself would suggest to invest in a better cooling solution, maybe you could then even overclock a little bit and render video faster!  ;)

Spend 30$ on a 212 Evo. What case/fan setup do you have?

Spend 30$ on a 212 Evo. What case/fan setup do you have?

I have an Zalman Z9 Plus USB3 ATX case. I didn't install any additional fans. It came with 4 fans which were pre-installed.

I did also just install Realtemp, and it seems like my temperatures are getting even hotter than I thought.

grUWnnp.png

I will probably look for another fan then, even though I have never replaced a CPU fan, so I'm hoping I won't do anything wrong.

For now I'll probably (after rendering is done) just choose to render by using my GPU, since that doesn't cause my CPU to run at 100%.

What are the temps while gaming? Personally I wouldn't want to go past 80-85c while under full load

Jesus Christ

Put a better cooler before it turns into a fireball

What are the temps while gaming? Personally I wouldn't want to go past 80-85c while under full load

Around 60 degrees I believe. I'm only getting these crazy high temperatures at full load.

I have an Zalman Z9 Plus USB3 ATX case. I didn't install any additional fans. It came with 4 fans which were pre-installed.

Check how those fans are setup. You should have more intake than exhaust. So intakes to front and side, maybe two to side and 1-2 exhaust fans to rear/top. Also flip your PSU to intake from bottom if you haven't done so yet. Those temps are bit high even for stock cooler. So if they continue, its either bad mount or defective cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Check how those fans are setup. You should have more intake than exhaust. So intakes to front and side, maybe two to side and 1-2 exhaust fans to rear/top. Also flip your PSU to intake from bottom if you haven't done so yet. Those temps are bit high even for stock cooler. So if they continue, its either bad mount or defective cooler.

Well, I don't know where the 4th fan went lol, but currently I have 1 at the front, 1 at the top and 1 at the back of the case. My PSU is already mounted that way.

It's only the CPU that gets this hot, even my GPU doesn't get that hot at full load. So it might indeed be the cooler or a bad mount. I've had this problem since I did the first stress test on my pc, but it was really hot outside at that time so I thought that was why it reached up to these high temperatures. :P

The rendering is done by now, and the current temperature is ~50° Celcius (15% CPU load), and it's still decreasing.

Edit: I was also playing a game in the meantime (browser game), and it seems like that required quite some CPU power too. Temperatures are back at 40° C now, with about 2-3% load. But I still don't think my temperatures were normal.

The stock cooler is fine even for full load, you should check and remount the cooler.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

@Earleys, come to think of it, best thing would be to switch rear fan to intake and set one fan to side for cpu exhaust. Since stock cooler blows straight towards side panel.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can try to reseat the cooler and apply a better thermal compound like the MX-4. If that doesn't help, get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I will try to re-position some fans the next time I open up my computer. And if that doesn't work, then I guess I'll need to buy a new cooler. In the meantime I'm just going to render using my GPU since that doesn't lead to full load on my cpu.

Thanks all. :)

The paste intel uses for their stock coolers is crap, dries out after a few months so just replace the tim and should fix it.

Hello Linusfans,

I didn't post here in a while, but I'm a bit worried about something. Whenever my pc is running at 100% load (rendering a video right now) the temperatures are raising up to about 95° Celcius (it doesn't go much higher than that). 

I know Haswell and Ivy Bridge are natively running pretty hot when running at high clocks, but are these temperatures still safe? 

I have an i7 4770 and I'm using the stock cooler.

Whenever my computer isn't running 100% my temperatures stay pretty low. ~40° Celcius at idle.

Greetings,

Earleys.

The stock cooler is fine for gaming on the 4770. 

The stock cooler is not fine for rendering. It is the same garbage cooler used on the I5, and the I5 runs like 10 degrees cooler while rendering. 

Get a EVO 212. They are 30 bucks, the paste included is fine. The temps will go to 50's C. The 4770 is not a cheap chip, make it last. :)

AMD's run just as hot. The stock fan on both the 8 thread/core chips is pretty crappy. AMD just reports temps different (lower). This is prob best video for install instructions. You won't even need the manual. If you have a hole in the case behind the cpu on the motherboard, it is very easy to install and you do not have to take the motherboard out. Not only will the chip run super cool, but the fan will be a lot quieter. Also the stock fan on the Evo is just as good for airflow as a Noctua. The Noctua is just quieter (lower RPM's). I render in the mid 60's at 4.3 and around 69-70C at 4.5ghz. You could also OC the 4770 a bit. Not as easy as a K model but you can get some more out of that bad boy if you ever wanted to with this cooler.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.