Corsair Vengeance m65 or Raptor m45?

Jephrey

So I've been looking for a new mouse recently. I want one that will last me a very long time, preferably the rest of my life but that probably won't happen. I eventually settled with the Corsair m45. I went on Amazon since it had the mouse for the cheapest price which is $59.99 since the mouse is still fairly new. But I also saw that the Corsair Vengeance m65 was $20 off for the military green version and $9 off for the black version, the one I would probably buy. That would make the m45 and m65 similarly priced at $59.99 and $60.99 respectively. The m65 if a higher quality mouse with an aluminum chassis that comes with more features. It has a higher DPI but it is a laser mouse. I've read that optical mice are better for FPS gaming than laser mice and I am primarily an FPS gamer. I've also read that the acceleration issue on the m65 is not existent. Also, the m65 is a year old and although unlikely, I can't help to wonder if there is going to be a refresh for the m65 this year and that is the reason it's on sale is because this is the case. I know that a mouse refresh is usually a evolutionary upgrade and not a revolutionary one (so not the biggest deal in the world) but I still don't like it when I buy something and a new one comes out two weeks later. The m45 is a new mouse so the chances of that happening are really low if I get the m45. So basically, my question is, should I get the m45 which is a lower quality mouse but is newer and has an optical sensor or the m65 which is about a year old higher quality mouse with higher DPI and a laser sensor?

I'd get the M45 if you care anything at all about the sensor, if you don't, just get the M65 for the better build quality. The M65 does have acceleration though, but it's not that big of a deal.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

I'd get the M45 if you care anything at all about the sensor, if you don't, just get the M65 for the better build quality. The M65 does have acceleration though, but it's not that big of a deal.

How bad do you consider mouse acceleration? I've never used a laser mouse.

In my experience with the M60 (same physical mouse, just older laser sensor) I have not experienced any issues with acceleration. I think that it only comes into play when you are competing in the top tier and need to eke out every last drop of performance that you can. The M65 has the sniper button, higher DPI laser sensor, and aluminum construction, whereas the M45 is optical, without sniper button, and plastic construction. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Two points about the M45/M65 decision.

1. Not noticing the acceleration and not being affected by the acceleration are two different things. With the reaction speeds and time-frames we tend to be concerned with in the kinds of games where acceleration matters, it's not hard to believe that you might not notice your cursor going 1.05 pixels for every 1" of mouse movement when you're crossing hundreds of pixels in hundredths of a second.

2. Sniper buttons are no big loss unless you're desperate for a third side-button. Their default function is probably detrimental if anything, considering your aim is based on muscle memory and your muscle memory adapts to specific sensitivities, changing that sensitivity fucks with your muscle memory and thus your aim (this is why you tend to play worse when you initially turn your sensitivity up/down, but then get "used to it" over time).

The aesthetics and aluminium certainly make the M65 the prettier of the two, but that's about it. Go with the M65 if you prioritize looks or a third mouse button, otherwise there's not much reason not to get the M45 instead.

I consider it bearable, I don't really mind it all too much. I just like knowing that it isn't there.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

Two points about the M45/M65 decision.

1. Not noticing the acceleration and not being affected by the acceleration are two different things. With the reaction speeds and time-frames we tend to be concerned with in the kinds of games where acceleration matters, it's not hard to believe that you might not notice your cursor going 1.05 pixels for every 1" of mouse movement when you're crossing hundreds of pixels in hundredths of a second.

2. Sniper buttons are no big loss unless you're desperate for a third side-button. Their default function is probably detrimental if anything, considering your aim is based on muscle memory and your muscle memory adapts to specific sensitivities, changing that sensitivity fucks with your muscle memory and thus your aim (this is why you tend to play worse when you initially turn your sensitivity up/down, but then get "used to it" over time).

The aesthetics and aluminium certainly make the M65 the prettier of the two, but that's about it. Go with the M65 if you prioritize looks or a third mouse button, otherwise there's not much reason not to get the M45 instead.

That is a very good point. Honestly, I didn't plan on using the sniper button for it's intended function anyways. I just really like the build quality of the m65. I wish corsair would offer optical mice made of aluminum. I don't really plan on buying another mouse for ten years after this purchase.

Are their any other types of mice that you guys would recommend besides these two? I'm mainly looking for one with qualities in this order:

$60 or less

Good build quality

Optical

Looks cool

Has some unique feature I can brag about

PC and mac compatible

That is a very good point. Honestly, I didn't plan on using the sniper button for it's intended function anyways. I just really like the build quality of the m65. I wish corsair would offer optical mice made of aluminum. I don't really plan on buying another mouse for ten years after this purchase.

Honestly? Every other mouse ever made seems to do fine being made of just plastic, so I don't see the aluminium being a huge benefit. If anything I imagine it'd make the mouse heavier (which again, tends to be a negative).

You won't find many unique features below $60 in a mouse with a perfect sensor. The Roccat Kone Pure Optical comes with full-blown RGB lighting and their easy-shift thing, but that might require a special offer to fit into your budget.