Cpu cooler in 250D

Jonis

So, as the topic says. Im going to build a ITX system in the 250D and Im looking for a good low-profile cpu cooler (dont want the H100i even tho it fits)

the system is as follows 

i5 4670k

Asus Z87I-Pro

Vengeance Pro 8gb 1600mhz gold

MSI GTX 770

WD green 2tb

Samsung 840 Evo 120gb

Corsair 250D

Be quiet L8 530w / E9 450W

I want the cooler to be somewhat silence. I have been looking at the Noctua NH-C14 but i dont know if it fits, maybe i should go for something else?

Would have gone with a NH-D14 but the case does not support it... "no compromises" my ass :P

Does it have to be air or can it be an AIO?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Well, I would like it to be air cooled, but in this case i might have to go with a h100i anyway.

I want it to be somewhat silence and keep the cpu somewhat cool

dont have to be low profile if it fits in the 250D

Want to see what choice I have with the Air cooled department first before i go for the aio's, :)

That's exactly what Linus was talking about in his Phanteks Enthoo Primo review. Corsair makes great cases but they all come with an intended way of use and you don't have much creativity with corsair cases. Thew 250D is supposed to have a H100i inside, what else would you ever mount in there? :D

So for air cooling I'd suggest a beefy front intake, two 80mm exhausts and block the sides. You system won't output a ton of heat since it's an i5 and a nvidia gpu, so this airflow setup should suffice in such a tiny space.. From this photo it looks like the cooler can at least be 130mm high, see the 120 mm fan in the background. I'd go as far as 140mm but not more. brb with a recommendation

Edit: most adequate CPU coolers are well over 150mm. You'll probably have to rely on something like a Noctua NH-C14 or a Phanteks PH-TC14CS. You should check clearance with your GPU though, since the first PCI slot is also your GPU slot, there's not 1x slot on top like on many full ATX mobos.

You could use some top flow coolers but what's the point of those, when the intel boxed cooler is a perfect top flow cooler. :P

Realistically you're gonna have to use a AIO 240mm liquid cooler, which leads me to the beginning of my comment. 

who cares...

NH-L12 or CM GeminII S if you don't like the Noctua look.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Still like the performance of Noctua but not realy the look :/ 

And yeah, like Linus said in the Enthoo review :( but its a great looking litle mitx case! :P

Tuff decision... :P

NH-L12 or CM GeminII S if you don't like the Noctua look.

Any cooler like those that have smaller backplate.

Coolers with big backplate will touch the transistors that are close the the CPU, and you don't want that.   

Any cooler like those that have smaller backplate.

Coolers with big backplate will touch the transistors that are close the the CPU, and you don't want that.   

Ah, did not know that. will keep that in mind :)

I've been doing research on air coolers for this case. From motherboard to roof there is around 150mm of space. TastyPC Lauren says she measured up to around 158mm. I'd assume the lower number. Also watch out for the optical drive bay and/or installed drive there to be in the way. Choose a low profile cooler that is no taller than 95mm so you don't hit into the bottom of the tray depending on how much motherboard the cooler covers.

TastyPC Lauren says she measured up to around 158mm.

Does anyone have this case yet? Can we get a maximum accurate cooler height measurement for slim CPU air coolers from socket to roof? It looks like the Noctua NH-U12S tower cooler at 158mm high (shown below) or Noctua’s thicker double-fan NH-U12P SE2 (if you don't mind LP memory) is right at the upper reported limit and may even touch the window panel. Too bad because it's a slim cooler with 100% RAM compatibility for tall modules. If someone with the case could lay a straight edge across the top frame (or rear wall) and measure the true distance from motherboard that would settle the question. Might have to mod the roof panel (or window area) to raise it a bit all around, LOL!

noctua_nh_u12s_1.jpgnoctua_nh_u12s_2.jpg

Dont thin anyone has it yet... if not a reviewer. But i might wait untill someone builds in this case and can make some measurements before i order it :) But yeah, i would totaly go for that U12S if it fits :P or maybe Phanteks for some looks :P

This $46 cooler seems to be a good one too, at 150mm high. How much room should you leave between a cooler top and a plexi window without melting it??? Cutting it close, but it does 100% clear the memory the way the heat pipes offset it so no RAM restrictions. 

Thermalright Macho120/Rev.A

front45.jpgside.jpgtop45a.jpgMacho%20120%20Top45.jpg

Motherboard Compatibility
Intel:  Socket LGA 775/1150/1155/1156/1366/2011
AMD: Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+/FM1/FM2

Review here.

They also have a $43 smaller 145mm high "True Spirit 120M (B/W)" cooler that would fit (still close to roof window) and is also 100% memory compatible. But no where near as much cooler surface area as the Macho.

ts120m(bw)%20front%2045.jpgts120m(bw)%20side.jpgts120m(bw)%20top%2045.jpg200x200-5.jpg

Intel:  Socket LGA 775/1150/1155/1156/1366/2011

Looks like BQ shadow rock :P thats nice. I'll wait and see if I can find out more about the CPU cooler height, maybe have to wait untill the case is released properly, but im not in a hurry tbh. 

I'll wait and see if I can find out more about the CPU cooler height, maybe have to wait untill the case is released properly, but im not in a hurry tbh. 

Me either but all this pre-planning for an unreleased case build is killing me! ;)

I'm trying to max out the size for best cooling heatsink for possible OC ability. Having to go smaller to a 90mm fan cooler like this I'm not sure if it's much better than a Noctua NH-L9i low profile that just covers the socket mount area.  Here's the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 90M Rev.A - its 125mm high:

front45.jpgside.jpgtop45a.jpgTS-90M_reva.png

$35

Intel:  Socket LGA 775/1150/1155/1156/1366

• 2 weeks later...

Okay back for an update. It's good to step away for a bit until more information comes to light. There is a new Corsair Obsidian 250D Review and in it he measures the CPU cooler clearance:

"In terms of space for the CPU cooler, 250D can accommodate solutions which are up to 140mm in height. Anything beyond this will touch the top panel."

I linked the page of the review that shows ruler measurement photos. Be aware too that there is a Corsair spec of 95mm which is probably to account for low profile coolers that may underhang the optical drive bay. So of the 'tower' coolers I've been mentioning so far, the 125mm high Thermalright TRUE Spirit 90M Rev.A is a candidate. But there are good low profile style coolers too.