Good features for a gaming monitor?

raxx

I am in the market for a new monitor and I want to know what to look for in a monitor. What features should it have? Are there any sites that have good info on the features? Thanks for any help.

at least 1080p and IPS.

Fast response time.

not more than 24" if you go 1080p.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

What's your budget?  Sorry..

Well, You can get 1080p. If your gpu can handle more, it would be better :)

And also, don't look for TN panels. IPS are good :)

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

If you aren't a proffesional competitive gamer almost any 1080p IPS screen will do, just make sure it's 8ms or less in response time. Size is up to you but 23-24" is the best for the usual distance between you and the screen. If you have a big budget of $800 or more, I advise waiting a while, a lot of good 4K monitors are coming in Q2.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

at least 1080p and IPS.

Fast response time.

Thanks. I am looking for 1080p on a 24" screen since that is what I have now.

Thanks. I am looking for 1080p on a 24" screen since that is what I have now.

budget?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

What's your budget?

I would say $500 max, but I would like to spend less since I don't need the best thing ever made.

I would say $500 max, but I would like to spend less since I don't need the best thing ever made.

I think you can get a BenQ XL2420T. Love it, though it might not be for you :D. Just see some reviews. Even Linus did so I guess. (I'm not sure though). I know I recommended that you shouldn't be buying TN panels, but some TN panels are amazing (such as this beast). I would recommend getting this one if you have 500$ to spend on a monitor. Though you can get IPS panels too :)

Edited by ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

If you aren't a proffesional competitive gamer almost any 1080p IPS screen will do, just make sure it's 8ms or less in response time. Size is up to you but 23-24" is the best for the usual distance between you and the screen. If you have a big budget of $800 or more, I advise waiting a while, a lot of good 4K monitors are coming in Q2.

I think 4K would be overkill for me. What sort of content is even going to use 4K resolution? Are we going to replace blu-ray with an even more expensive format? I am sure it looks awesome though.

this is my current monitor:

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

I don't think it is IPS though.

I think you can get a BenQ XL2420T. Love it, though it might not be for you :D. Just see some reviews. Even Linus did so I guess. (I'm not sure though)

You already suggested to him not to look for TN panels, yet you're recommending that BenQ one... O_o

TN panels are a perfectly fine choice if a person finds the smoothness of high framerate to be preferable to better colors/viewing angles. Still, it's important to keep in mind that not everybody will notice a difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz. I personally use a 120 Hz TN panel monitor, but if you don't have any available to play aroudn with and test, I'd probably recommend a decent IPS one.

I think 4K would be overkill for me. What sort of content is even going to use 4K resolution? Are we going to replace blu-ray with an even more expensive format? I am sure it looks awesome though.

Currently not a lot of things, a few Youtube videos, games (current GPU's don't have the horsepower but Maxwell should), not sure about Windows. I'm certainly getting one when they launch, because I believe it will soon be mainstream and developers will focus on it more and more and it will eventually push 1080p to the point where it's just for those who are building very low-end rigs.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

You already suggested to him not to look for TN panels, yet you're recommending that BenQ one... O_o

TN panels are a perfectly fine choice if a person finds the smoothness of high framerate to be preferable to better colors/viewing angles. Still, it's important to keep in mind that not everybody will notice a difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz. I personally use a 120 Hz TN panel monitor, but if you don't have any available to play aroudn with and test, I'd probably recommend a decent IPS one.

I know I recommended him not to get a TN panel and I'm fully aware that the monitor that I suggested him is a TN panel. But still, it's an AMAZING...Monitor! :D . And yes, a decent IPS would be great for him.

COMING SOON

this is my current monitor:

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

I don't think it is IPS though.

If you've got $500 that should get you a pretty nice IPS monitor. Hopefully somebody can come along and give better suggestions than I can since my monitors are on the cheaper side. In the meantime, you might just check http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/monitor/ and sort by 1080p IPS monitors that preferably have a response time < 5 ms and see what kind of user reviews pop up.

The Dell U2414H here is a review http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm .

Or the Asus MX239H if you dont need the extra features of the Dell.

And one more thing, the response time is not that important as they use grey-to-grey instead of black-white-black and the shade of grey is not the same for all manufacturers.

So is there a difference in Hz between the TN and IPS panels? Are there any good TN monitors with good color?