Siberia V2 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (or others)

barret50

So I received a pair of Siberia V2's as a gift a fair while ago and have been using them a fair bit ever since, I'm quite happy with the sound and honestly haven't experienced anything of a higher grade.

What would they be like in a comparison to the Audio-Technica ATH M50? I know the M50 will be better but by how much so..

I'm in Australia and if I were to buy them, I'm looking here unless anyone knows of a better location? http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1156&products_id=20878

If you can suggest a better or equally as good headset for no more than $160aud I would like to hear it thanks :)

If I were you, I'd get something like the M30's, and a Antlion Modmic. Considering you live in Australia, I'm unsure if you can get the mic, but it's probably a better option. I got my brother a Siberia V2 for Christmas, and I'm actually not impressed by the sound quality. The bass is overpowering, and is muddy compared to my M50's. The Sony MDR-7506 headphones would be a good option as well. They sound good, and for the price, are hard to beat. They don't look as good as the M50's, but what you pay for is what you get. 

If you can afford the M50's you can afford the Shure SRH440's. with 840 pads, of course. They are in the same category of heaphones as the M50's (monitoring headphones) but they do it better in every single way. Don't forget the 840 pads though.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

If you can afford the M50's you can afford the Shure SRH440's. with 840 pads, of course. They are in the same category of heaphones as the M50's (monitoring headphones) but they do it better in every single way. Don't forget the 840 pads though.

I've actually seen a few people mention the 840 pads, are the 440 pads that horrific or something?

The 440's pads aren't very nice compared to the 840

Okay. These guys can have both items delivered for $144aud http://headphones.com.au/

Can you confirm that the cable is coiled and not inconveniently long?

Okay. These guys can have both items delivered for $144aud http://headphones.com.au/

Can you confirm that the cable is coiled and not inconveniently long?

Yes, the standard cable is coiled. in it's coiled state it's around 1 meter long, very nice. Fully stretched, it's about 3 meters.

Yes, the standard cable is coiled. in it's coiled state it's around 1 meter long, very nice. Fully stretched, it's about 3 meters.

Cool, well I'll take this all into account and figure out what to do.

I own a pair of ATH-M50's as well as quite a few (sigh) pairs of Siberia V2's. I can say that as far as gaming headsets go I absolutely adore the Siberia's.. They're good for gaming, as well as some bassy music to game with, but that being said: The ATH-M50's have superior sound quality in every way. The part where they REALLY lose out is long gaming sessions. The closed design and pleather earcups can get sweaty/stuffy quick, and they can get uncomfortable over time. I ended up replacing them as my gaming headsets with some Open headphones instead. ATH-M50's all the way if this isn't a problem, otherwise HD 558's from Sennheiser, or DT-880's from Beyerdynamic rule the kingdom in my opinion. 

Hope that helps, regardless of how poorly I articulated it! :D

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

I listen to lots of electronic genres which feature pretty significant bass, do you think the 440's will be good for that even though they're a studio headset?

I listen to lots of electronic genres which feature pretty significant bass, do you think the 440's will be good for that even though they're a studio headset?

Their bass is decent, but it's not a focus. Most closed headphones tend to have better bass than open, these not so much. It's clear, but not the thumpy/rumbling bass that ATH-M50's have.

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

Their bass is decent, but it's not a focus. Most closed headphones tend to have better bass than open, these not so much. It's clear, but not the thumpy/rumbling bass that ATH-M50's have.

I've read that the M50's have more bass and the 440's are overall clearer etc - not sure which one is more appealing to me.. I can also get the 440's with 840 pads for $20 cheaper surprisingly..

I've read that the M50's have more bass and the 440's are overall clearer etc - not sure which one is more appealing to me.. I can also get the 440's with 840 pads for $20 cheaper surprisingly..

I personally loved the M50's and wasn't a big fan of Shure to begin with, but the 440's are ok. If it was my dollars, I'd be going with AudioTechnica over Shure just for the quality of AudioTechnica's products, but that being said, both are good options.

I personally loved the M50's and wasn't a big fan of Shure to begin with, but the 440's are ok. If it was my dollars, I'd be going with AudioTechnica over Shure just for the quality of AudioTechnica's products, but that being said, both are good options.

Such a hard choice as I can't try out either of them before purchase which is pretty annoying..

Honestly, and I hate to give this advice, when you can't decide and you can't try them.. Browse the reviews for the most negative comments.. if that doesn't help... then the answer is simple:

Which one looks cooler.

Most of the headphones I buy I can't try in person first. I have to go with opinions, review, research, and of course, my gut. It has served me well.. Hopefully yours will serve you well... as well.... yeah. :)

Such a hard choice as I can't try out either of them before purchase which is pretty annoying..

For bass, Beyerdynamic DT770's are good, but you'll need some sort of amp as the good ones are 250 ohm, also V-Moda Crossfade LP and M-100. they're certainly more comfortable than the M50's.

For bass, Beyerdynamic DT770's are good, but you'll need some sort of amp as the good ones are 250 ohm, also V-Moda Crossfade LP and M-100. they're certainly more comfortable than the M50's.

They're way out of my price range unfortunately.

They're way out of my price range unfortunately.

You could always just EQ whichever pair of headphones you'd like. pretty much all media players have an equalizer, and there you could just give the lower two or three sliders a little nudge in the direction you want ( + / - ) 

I don't know how good headphones.com.au are but I know soundcorp are good:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shure-SRH440-Studio-Headphones-Free-Shipping-/251164885948?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item3a7a9803bc

+ these pads and your in under $130 all told.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ear-cushions-Genuine-SHURE-HPAEC840-Ear-pads-fit-SHURE-SRH840-SRH440-Headphones-/190702709217?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2c66c469e1

EDIT: I wouldn't go near the m-50 for what they charge for them here, I just don't think they are that good. If you were going to throw $180 at headphones you may as well find another $60 and get the dt770's

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Decided to go with the M-50's. I spoke to someone from the store and he gave me some helpful information, their return policy is quite good and the fact that the headset is fold-able and relatively portable is a good plus for me.

Thanks for your input everyone, this decision wasn't too easy hahah.. first world problems.. :)

Decided to go with the M-50's. I spoke to someone from the store and he gave me some helpful information, their return policy is quite good and the fact that the headset is fold-able and relatively portable is a good plus for me.

Thanks for your input everyone, this decision wasn't too easy hahah.. first world problems.. :)

which store?  How did you get M-50 in Aus under $160?  do they let you listen to them first?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

which store?  How did you get M-50 in Aus under $160?  do they let you listen to them first?

Got them from here - http://headphones.com.au/, they were $169 and no I couldn't.. there's absolutely no places around here that have headsets for listening..

Got them from here - http://headphones.com.au/, they were $169 and no I couldn't.. there's absolutely no places around here that have headsets for listening..

That's the problem when we live on the arse end of the world :(

Can you let us know what they are like. with regards to postage times and costs etc?

That's the problem when we live on the arse end of the world :(

Can you let us know what they are like. with regards to postage times and costs etc?

Yeah I can do that, they specify that their postage is free (when over a certain amount), is insured and express (1-3 days). I'm hoping they'll be here by Monday.