How do I record videos with OBS using a 2700X

Go to solution Solved by WhatComesAround,
5 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Mhm, i don't know.

maybe refer to youtube videos?

sorry :(

image.png.cc7bbeb38945d39729479c974dcc673a.pngGood news, I think I have figured it out. Basically. What I like to do is to record videos in 1080P, even tho I have a 900P monitor, why? Because I (thinking ahead for when I upgrade to a 1080P/4K monitor) made my video templates all in 1080P, so I thought by using the OBS rescaling options I would be able to have 1080P video, which will skip having to resize in premiere. However, while using resizing the CPU utilization just wasn't there for some reason. But now, after I turned it off, as you can see it works great! 4 cores being very well utilized by OBS and the other 4 by project cars 2 (top 4). Also should mention that frames skipped due to encoding and frames skipped due to rendering have all gone down to 0%. Problem solved. :D

So recently (a few days ago I bought a Ryzen 2700X), I am already happy with it since it has made editing 4K footage struggles a thing of the past. However, I thought to myself one day... Why use shadowplay to record gameplay? I have a beastly 2700X, why not utilize it and get better quality videos! But unfortunately I have played around with settings for a little while and I just constantly get horrible FPS recorded. Another thing is, I have assigned 8 cores to GTA V and 8 cores to OBS, I see GTA V utilizing it but OBS doesn't really use the cores a lot at all, what's more is it doesn't use all 4, it only uses 2. So what's going on? Are there any other Ryzen users that would be willing to share their settings with me?

30 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

So recently (a few days ago I bought a Ryzen 2700X), I am already happy with it since it has made editing 4K footage struggles a thing of the past. However, I thought to myself one day... Why use shadowplay to record gameplay? I have a beastly 2700X, why not utilize it and get better quality videos! But unfortunately I have played around with settings for a little while and I just constantly get horrible FPS recorded. Another thing is, I have assigned 8 cores to GTA V and 8 cores to OBS, I see GTA V utilizing it but OBS doesn't really use the cores a lot at all, what's more is it doesn't use all 4, it only uses 2. So what's going on? Are there any other Ryzen users that would be willing to share their settings with me?

Are you see terrible video quality?

you can go into task manager and assign a 4 cores to the game and 4 to obs

And why not try gpu encoding.

I may be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Are you see terrible video quality?

you can go into task manager and assign a 4 cores to the game and  4 to obs

I have already done that. The video quality is pretty bad. The biggest kicker is the amount of frames that get dropped, the lowest % I could get was 8%

Just now, WhatComesAround said:

I have already done that. The video quality is pretty bad.

Try gpu encoding

I may be wrong.

33 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

However, I thought to myself one day... Why use shadowplay to record gameplay?

This uses the gpu btw

I may be wrong.

33 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

But unfortunately I have played around with settings for a little while and I just constantly get horrible FPS recorded. Another thing is, I have assigned 8 cores to GTA V and 8 cores to OBS

im confused obs or shadowplay?

I may be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Try gpu encoding

I have tried it, I am getting better results but why can't I use the CPU? Seems like it should be able to use it just fine. The CPU usage on the cores I select it to use is SO low when I am recording.

I have tried it, I am getting better results but why can't I use the CPU? Seems like it should be able to use it just fine. The CPU usage on the cores I select it to use is SO low when I am recording.

screenshot your obs settings, please

maybe i'll understand then, is obs the latest version?

I may be wrong.

image.png.88d14f62b4fb6b4ea3a3cd5223c46931.pngThis is working better, but it's using the GPU. The problem is at this point my 1050ti is bottlenecking the 2700X, so I would prefer to keep the load on the CPU. Latest version.

6 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

image.png.88d14f62b4fb6b4ea3a3cd5223c46931.pngThis is working better, but it's using the GPU. The problem is at this point my 1050ti is bottlenecking the 2700X, so I would prefer to keep the load on the CPU. Latest version.

Mhm, i don't know.

I may be wrong.

1 minute ago, Altruist said:

Mhm, i don't know.

Thanks for trying to help man! Appreciate it. I will maybe try the OBS forum.

5 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Mhm, i don't know.

image.png.cc7bbeb38945d39729479c974dcc673a.pngGood news, I think I have figured it out. Basically. What I like to do is to record videos in 1080P, even tho I have a 900P monitor, why? Because I (thinking ahead for when I upgrade to a 1080P/4K monitor) made my video templates all in 1080P, so I thought by using the OBS rescaling options I would be able to have 1080P video, which will skip having to resize in premiere. However, while using resizing the CPU utilization just wasn't there for some reason. But now, after I turned it off, as you can see it works great! 4 cores being very well utilized by OBS and the other 4 by project cars 2 (top 4). Also should mention that frames skipped due to encoding and frames skipped due to rendering have all gone down to 0%. Problem solved. :D

1 hour ago, WhatComesAround said:

I have assigned 8 cores to GTA V and 8 cores to OBS

The Ryzen 2700X only has 8 cores, I think you've confused threads with cores.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

The Ryzen 2700X only has 8 cores, I think you've confused threads with cores.

Yea, I did. I know I just sometimes forget and make that mistake from time to time.

Yea, I did. I know I just sometimes forget and make that mistake from time to time.

OK, glad you figured it out. What settings did you end up going with for OBS?

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

OK, glad you figured it out. What settings did you end up going with for OBS?

This works pretty well for me :D  

image.png

Looks good, I've been trying to stream and record at the same time but my recording always looks worse than my stream. I'm going to try recording on my gaming PC with those settings and stick to just streaming with my other PC.

-KuJoe