Upgrade/New Build

wjm22400

So I'm not new to the building community but I think it's time I upgraded or built a new rig (leaning towards a new rig).

Here is my current rig:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KgGG6h
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KgGG6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Patriot - Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: SanDisk - Solid State Drive 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon R9 290 4 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case: Corsair - SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Power Supply: XFX - 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill - RNX-N150PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.88 CFM 120mm Fans  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG - 22MP55HQ-P 22.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  ($153.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Keyboard: Logitech - G15 Wired Standard Keyboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Mouse: Corsair - Raptor M45 Wired Optical Mouse 
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155 W 5.1ch Speakers  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $153.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-23 08:31 EST-0500

With exceptions for a little more Ram and a diffrent power supply, that is pretty much it. I play alot of titles like Witcher 3 and other things like that.

Can I get some help? Also I'm thinking of also maybe just getting a laptop because I will be going to college soon as well... so any recommendation helps.

Thanks much.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:34 PM, wjm22400 said:

Also I'm thinking of also maybe just getting a laptop because I will be going to college soon as well

Don't buy a gaming laptop if you are going to college. You will want something light and with a long battery life instead. Save the gaming desktop for post finals celebration.

Is the computer not doing what you want? What is your budget? Upgrading and building a new rig have different budgets.

You could just get an i7-4770 and an RX 580 or something.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 11:18 PM, MandoPanda said:

Don't buy a gaming laptop if you are going to college. You will want something light and with a long battery life instead. Save the gaming desktop for post finals celebration.

Is the computer not doing what you want? What is your budget? Upgrading and building a new rig have different budgets.

You could just get an i7-4770 and an RX 580 or something.

Sorry I havent been able to get on in a bit, I dont really have a budget but I thought just go all out on a new build because i need a diffrent power supply because its semi modular and I would like to get diffrent ram. My motherboard is also Micro ATX board even though I have a full sized computer case. Its kind of a mess to be very honest about it but it also was my first build

18 hours ago, wjm22400 said:

I dont really have a budget

Within reason, I assume.

Do you want Intel or AMD? Do you want a gaming rig AND a laptop for class?

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

14 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

Within reason, I assume.

Do you want Intel or AMD? Do you want a gaming rig AND a laptop for class?

I would like Intell, I have had bad experiences with AMD, and yes that would be very helpfull i dont really know where to start

13 hours ago, wjm22400 said:

I would like Intell, I have had bad experiences with AMD, and yes that would be very helpfull i dont really know where to start

https://pcpartpicker.com is a great place to play around with configs and get the best price. Just be sure to run it buy us again when you have settled on some stuff to get a second opinion.

Within reason, this is what I would personally recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($160.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg Business)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card  ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.79 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1290.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-14 01:58 EST-0500

You can also throw in an i7 if you want. The 1070ti can be overclocked to perform similarly to a 1080 and for under 400 dollars, it is quite the deal. Of course the cost goes up when you consider a monitor and peripherals, but you may already have those. Let me know if you need recommendations though.

On 12/14/2018 at 12:00 AM, MandoPanda said:

https://pcpartpicker.com is a great place to play around with configs and get the best price. Just be sure to run it buy us again when you have settled on some stuff to get a second opinion.

Within reason, this is what I would personally recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($160.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg Business)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card  ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.79 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1290.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-14 01:58 EST-0500

You can also throw in an i7 if you want. The 1070ti can be overclocked to perform similarly to a 1080 and for under 400 dollars, it is quite the deal. Of course the cost goes up when you consider a monitor and peripherals, but you may already have those. Let me know if you need recommendations though.

For the cooler what would be the best if I was gonna go water cooled? And then with the 1070 ti is the gigabyte good because the card I have now is gigabyte has caused nothing but trouble? Have you heard anything bad about the 1070ti seahawk?

18 minutes ago, wjm22400 said:

1070ti seahawk?

I don't know much about dual cooling cards, but you should always read the reviews.

A lot of the time water cooled AIOs are not as effective as people want them to be. If you get a beefy air cooler like the DRP4 then you will be just fine. With that said, you could just get an H100iv2 or something. They're all pretty much the same.

I personally haven't had any trouble with Gigabyte cards, but it's up to you to choose. Just stick to the reviews.

14 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

I don't know much about dual cooling cards, but you should always read the reviews.

A lot of the time water cooled AIOs are not as effective as people want them to be. If you get a beefy air cooler like the DRP4 then you will be just fine. With that said, you could just get an H100iv2 or something. They're all pretty much the same.

I personally haven't had any trouble with Gigabyte cards, but it's up to you to choose. Just stick to the reviews.

Is there any other card you would reccomend? also how many more fans would I need for cooling?

Sorry im just curious this will be only my second build and im still not 100% what to look for.

@wjm22400

A 144 hz monitor would help you max out this build so i included one

as for a laptop I would recommend going with a cheap thinkpad due to there light weight, included stylus for taking notes, and low price

4 hours ago, wjm22400 said:

Is there any other card you would reccomend? also how many more fans would I need for cooling?

Sorry im just curious this will be only my second build and im still not 100% what to look for.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P9ndnQ/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-video-card-gv-n107tgaming-8gd

but if you don't want Gigabyte:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TFWrxr/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-titanium-video-card-gtx-1070-ti-titanium-8g

5 hours ago, Happycowdance said:

@wjm22400

A 144 hz monitor would help you max out this build so i included one

as for a laptop I would recommend going with a cheap thinkpad due to there light weight, included stylus for taking notes, and low price

What kind of thinkpad?

On 12/17/2018 at 6:36 PM, MandoPanda said:

Side question what do you think about curved monitors? is it worth it?

3 hours ago, wjm22400 said:

Side question what do you think about curved monitors? is it worth it?

I personally don't like curved monitors. It's up to you though, maybe check some out at a retailer or something