Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Motherboard problems

Ruttlik

Hello everyone,

My main PCIe socket on my motherboard got messed up and the pins are all bent etc so I'm using a different socket that isn't as powerful so my GPU is running at like 25% speed then usual. My current problem is that I own a MSI z97 Gaming 3 and those aren't being sold in stores anymore so the only way to get a new one is by either repairing my current one (Which I don't know if that's possible) or buying one second hand (somehow). I have been told that if I upgraded to a newer motherboard version I would have to upgrade my CPU and RAM with that as well? Could someone tell me if that's true? I have zero knowledge about motherboards so I'm here to ask what my best options are, preferably low costs as well as I'm dropping 600 euro on a RTX 2070. If you guys know any other motherboard as an alternative that's still compatible with the rest of my build let me know as well!

Specs:

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz

SSD: Crucial 240 GB SSD

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz

Storage: Western Digital 1 TB HDD

Graphic Card: MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 GAMING 4G (Soon to be MSI RTX 2070 GAMING Z)

Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 3

Power supply: Corsair VS650

Case: Corsair Spec 01 Red

as long as you have the card in the 2nd PCIe slot, you wont actually notice any difference or loss. You dont actually lose any performance going from 16x to 8x. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

as long as you have the card in the 2nd PCIe slot, you wont actually notice any difference or loss. You dont actually lose any performance going from 16x to 8x. 

Thanks for the reply, I'm afraid this is not true as I've been noticing fps drops in games from the time when I had it in the main PCIe slot. In the picture below you can see all the slots on my motherboard, the PCIe 3.0 x16 is broken so I'm currently using a PCIe 2.0 x16 which supports x4 speed. 

gg.png