BMW's autonomous car, or how we [Engadget] drifted into love with a robot

mgsstar

ces_2014_bmw_autonomous.jpg

BMW promised, under the banner of its ConnectedDrive platform, to demonstrate some autonomous driving at this years' CES, and wow did it deliver. Labeled as ActiveAssist, the technology describes both partially and highly automated driving and we were definitely out to sample the highly automated variety. Highly automated driving, as the name suggests means the car will essentially drive itself with you sitting as passenger "up to the car's dynamic limit", or as we discovered to about 80 MPH.

Source:http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/08/highly-automated-driving-bmw/

Demo: 

The car originally has sensors sticking out but it followed a predefined course and was able to have it removed to make it look nicer and to show its really nice design. The drifting of the car in the video was pretty cool how it was done all by the robot. Even though this technology will become true not for at least 10 years, its still pretty cool how it can control the vehicle quickly at high speeds.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

That paint job is pretty awesome.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Its a pretty scary future. me being a car enthusiast. (hopefully i will die before in a car accident...?) haha joking