Computer just randomly shut off.

bradwiggo

My computer has just been build, I installed windows and was installing steam when it shut off, no blue screen, just monitor went black. Fan was still spinning, light were still on, but no video output. Anybody know what the problem is? 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

If you were installing GPU drivers, the screen will go black for a bit while the driver restarts. Have you tried doing a hard reset?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you were installing GPU drivers, the screen will go black for a bit while the driver restarts. Have you tried doing a hard reset?

I wasn't installing any drivers. It just went black. I left it for 20 seconds and did a hard restart. It is working fine now, but I am concerned it will do it again. When I booted it back up after about 5 minutes the screen flashed black and then I was able to adjust the refresh rate to the correct one (previously it only said 64Hz, now it says 75 and 60 (which is right)). 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 

47 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

I wasn't installing any drivers. It just went black. I left it for 20 seconds and did a hard restart. It is working fine now, but I am concerned it will do it again. When I booted it back up after about 5 minutes the screen flashed black and then I was able to adjust the refresh rate to the correct one (previously it only said 64Hz, now it says 75 and 60 (which is right)). 

Still probably something GPU driver related. Ignore it unless it's an issue.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Try installing GeForce Experience if your on NVIDIA or the AMD Utility if you are using an AMD GPU. By installing one of these you can be sure that you are keeping up to date with your drivers and we will know if it is the GPU drivers causing the issue.

23 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Still probably something GPU driver related. Ignore it unless it's an issue.

About an hour ago the screen just went black, and then 20 seconds later the computer booted up as if it had just been turned on. Could it be a problem with the PSU? If it is will I have to take out al of my cables to send it back to EVGA? I have heard they are excellent with their warranties so I would hope I wouldn't have to. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 

13 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

About an hour ago the screen just went black, and then 20 seconds later the computer booted up as if it had just been turned on. Could it be a problem with the PSU? If it is will I have to take out al of my cables to send it back to EVGA? I have heard they are excellent with their warranties so I would hope I wouldn't have to. 

I doubt it's the PSU. Is this the second time it's happened? Try a clean install of Windows.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I doubt it's the PSU. Is this the second time it's happened? Try a clean install of Windows.

What makes you doubt it is the psu? There was no blue screen so does that not mean it won't be driver or anything like that? 

I would rather avoid resetting the computer as I just downloaded a game and it took hours as my Internet speed is rubbish. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370