m.2 ssd upgrade

maxime_vhw

Hello

I know nothing about the m.2 interface and was wondering what i have to look for?

I have a older msi ge72 2qd on which i cant find info about the m.2 interface, i've seen that there's pci and sata m.2 cards.

How could i figure out what kind i need and is there anything else to acount for?

Kind regards

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

check your manual. if it can support both you'd do fine. if it only supports either NVMe or SATA M.2 SSDs then you have to look at the SSD stick's specs to ensure they are of the correct type.

going from this PDF your laptop only does SATA M.2, so only get SATA M.2 sticks.

https://www.msi.com/asset/global/picture/faq/10015790@2016-0914-0450-121749@faq_0000000001117_en.pdf

on laptops it's not that much of a worry. when it comes to motherboards for PCs though there's much more to look out for if you want the most of NVMe SSDs

M.2 2280 SSD

The 2280 is the length of the stick or something i guess?

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah spot on. 22 is the width, and 80 is the length. most SSD sticks for consumers are 2280

So something like a 860evo would be my "best" choise? I see that all faster ones use pci

13 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah but your M.2 connections on your laptop only does SATA, so plugging in PCIe or NVMe sticks wouldn't work at all.

an 860 evo should do though. keep a look out for alternatives like the crucial MX500

Thanks, ill look into it. I really need one. The hhd in this laptop throttles often.