Thinkpad Conundrum

cMiel

So, after returning my A485 because of cooling issues, I decided to opt-in for the T480 and T480s(Because I have cash to burn). But, since the T480 has the same M.2 problem as the A485, I came to the problem of, "Should I wait, or should I buy this now?". At the moment, I decided to invest in the T480s, but I WANT a backup for mobile VM work(since the T480s can only carry 24GB and I cannot find a 24GB laptop ram stick). Do I wait for the T490 next year, or do I buckle down with the T480?

(Oh, and btw, the M.2 issue is essentially that you can only install a 2248 M.2 drive instead of a 2280, requiring the user to use janky AF modifications)

Sharing 2.5 inch bay and M.2 2280 is a stupid idea, however you can get away from it if you don't mind M.2 2242+HDD

Must it be a business laptop? Might want to try other model

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

20 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Sharing 2.5 inch bay and M.2 2280 is a stupid idea, however you can get away from it if you don't mind M.2 2242+HDD

Oh? Why is that? 2.5" is still pretty good nowadays.

21 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Must it be a business laptop? Might want to try other model

Yeah, unfortunately. The whole "power user" niche is essentially my realm of comfort. I NEED the Ethernet port and other features for many reasons (in which I can't name), and the hot swap battery is a MUST when I'm out for absurd amounts of time.

11 hours ago, cMiel said:

Yeah, unfortunately

Have you considered Latitude 7000 series?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Have you considered Latitude 7000 series?

I have. Dell, for me anyway, is like if Lenovo had a bastard child with Apple.