Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need some advice

So my brother is about to head-off to college and he is a laptop gamer, the laptop he uses is a lenovo g50-80 and I must say it doesn't get him a lot of frames on the games he play.
It can run DOTA 2 smooth if he turns down the graphic to the lowest possIble setting. I am planning to buy him a 2nd hand desktop so that he can take it with him when he goes to college.

I found a very cheap Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF.

Spoiler

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 @3.4GHz 4th Generation CPU
8GB RAM
500GB HDD

So I'm planning to just give him my old 750ti as well and bump up the RAM to 16GB, also buying him a new 512GB SSD instead of that 500GB HDD.

Just wanted to ask if this plan is going to be good enough for a gamer? Not really a gamer myself, but I am a techie of some sort :)

Yeah that seems totally fine. That's a pretty good CPU. He's probably fine with 8GB of RAM, unless you want to get the extra anyways. And the SSD is always a nice touch. Just make sure the 750 Ti will fit in the case if it's a SFF.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Thanks for the quick answer. I was going through some forum posts and some discussions about that compatability of the 750ti with this exact computer. I'll just try it, if it doesn't fit then he'll have to deal with my old gt 610. hahaha!

I'm giving him those extra 8GB just because I have no other use for them as of right now,

it's enough to run most games just fine. I have used a 745 before for gaming, and most games can be runned with medium-low 1080 or sometimes 720p depending on the game.

and about that cpu, you can use almost anything with it

Alright, its decided then I've contacted the seller and he said he'll ship it to my address within this week. Thanks so much guys :)

• 1 month later...

The 9020 sff case is low profile, so the best gpu that will

fit is a 1050ti low profile. I've got one in mine and it runs fine. Technically, it exceeds the max power capacity of the psu, but I've never had a problem running fo4 on high settings on a 1080p monitor.