Installing 3 workplaces at one PC

Vitaly Makarkin

Hello everyone) After watchign Linus videos about installing several work places at one PC I want to do by myself)

I actually need for 2 Autocad (+3d Autocad workers) and for me for video edditig videos from the trips and from the Chromakey in Davinci Resolve (free version).

image.png.c92541170b808150bffd41416a2e0bd9.png

I tried to visualize it. If somebody uderstand what I want to archive I'll be happy to receive any recommendations)

left - the server specs

right - 3 rooms of each worker

ps: I really want and hope on the BlackFriday it'll be discounts)

The plan is: install the unRaid software and after that install Windows 10 PRO on each of the machines and use them just by turning on the monitors at work places)

It doesn't work like that, each machine needs it's own discreet GPU plus you need a 4th GPU for the server (unless you run headless), there's also problems with USB too (no hot plug support).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

It doesn't work like that, each machine needs it's own discreet GPU plus you need a 4th GPU for the server (unless you run headless), there's also problems with USB too (no hot plug support).

Am I use for server's needs integrated GPU. And for 1 user use Nvidia quadro, and buy 2 another the cheapest dedicated cards. But is it possible to use Nvidia Quadro resources for two another users (which ones be using another cheaper dedicated cards)?

By the problem of NO hot plug support, you mean it'll we ot possible to use USR flash cards just preinstalled ones?

Right now add to my research a Windows Multipoint 2016 server, not sure am I'm on the right track. And does it software create a fully separated workig places and have posibility to use 1 GPU with several (4 exits for 4 monitors) or it's just create a new user inside one server.

And another thing what I found about Nvidia Quadro cards - https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/06/11/what-is-a-virtual-gpu/ not sure how it's close to my aim.

It sounds like you want to use this setup for production, right? I would strongly discourage you to do that. If this system fails, all 3 of you can't work. I would build or buy 3 Individual systems. When you consider all the time you will need to invest in such a machine, maintenance and stuff, you will come of way cheaper with dedicated machines ;)

If it's for fun, or you just want to try something, then do it. But if you need to rely on this machine, I wouldn't do it ;) 

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

7 hours ago, leodaniel said:

It sounds like you want to use this setup for production, right? I would strongly discourage you to do that. If this system fails, all 3 of you can't work. I would build or buy 3 Individual systems. When you consider all the time you will need to invest in such a machine, maintenance and stuff, you will come of way cheaper with dedicated machines ;)

If it's for fun, or you just want to try something, then do it. But if you need to rely on this machine, I wouldn't do it ;) 

Hmmm I really thought that a lot of people working on virtualization or Microsoft Multipoint systems without issues. Or that system is not stable at all? 

1 hour ago, Vitaly Makarkin said:

Or that system is not stable at all? 

The crazy setups that Linus does are not suitable for reliable daily use. Just look at how much crap he had to go through to get it up and running to start. Not to mention the random stuff that breaks for no reason when everything was working fine previously.

Just get separate systems. Cheaper, less stress etc.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

40 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

The crazy setups that Linus does are not suitable for reliable daily use. Just look at how much crap he had to go through to get it up and running to start. Not to mention the random stuff that breaks for no reason when everything was working fine previously.

Just get separate systems. Cheaper, less stress etc.

Thx. Yeah I'm not sure about cheaper. Btw thx for tha advice.

2 hours ago, Vitaly Makarkin said:

Hmmm I really thought that a lot of people working on virtualization or Microsoft Multipoint systems without issues. Or that system is not stable at all? 

The people who work on VMs (like me) have hardware redundancy and we use enterprise hardware. I do run a lot of VMs at home on my gaming PC, but for anything I rely on I'll only host it on redundant server hardware (and in a data center because I'm super overkill like that). People like Linus who do these projects can get away with it because they have a ton of spare hardware available, if that machine goes down he can hand out 8 laptops or desktops for his employees to work on while they get it fixed without losing a lot of time/money (read: productivity). If you have some backup hardware available in case your server dies unexpectedly, then I say build it and have fun. :)

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

The people who work on VMs (like me) have hardware redundancy and we use enterprise hardware. I do run a lot of VMs at home on my gaming PC, but for anything I rely on I'll only host it on redundant server hardware (and in a data center because I'm super overkill like that). People like Linus who do these projects can get away with it because they have a ton of spare hardware available, if that machine goes down he can hand out 8 laptops or desktops for his employees to work on while they get it fixed without losing a lot of time/money (read: productivity). If you have some backup hardware available in case your server dies unexpectedly, then I say build it and have fun. :)

Thx. Looks like all virtualization software is just for testing not to a day by day works.

3 minutes ago, Vitaly Makarkin said:

Thx. Looks like all virtualization software is just for testing not to a day by day works.

It's not the software itself, it's how it's used. In businesses the use of virtualization is critical and used all over the place (where I work over 90% of the servers and over 50% of the desktops are virtual). The key is mitigating the risk of downtime. Like I said, you can go the UnRAID route and have 1 server with 3 VMs on it but only do this if you are able to accept the risk that a major hardware failure for 1 server will result in 3 workplaces offline so be sure to have a backup plan.

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, Vitaly Makarkin said:

Yes, but those companies have redundant systems with servergrade HW and an IT team ;) Linus does this kind of stuff more as an experiment in my opinion (as far as I know you are talking about the 7 Gamers 1 pc video right?) and he just happens to have a lot of hardware laying around ;) 

You re way better of just building/buying 3 systems... it will be cheaper in the end ;) 

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7