Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Workstation + Gaming Build

Hi guys,

I am a student reading Design at university, and I new a pretty powerful setup for my student and personal projects. 

Here is what I do with the system:

- Gaming (CS:GO, Battlefield V, Cities Skylines mostly)

- Work (Vray for Sketchup, Premiere Pro, Adobe CC)

My budget is about 2000€ ± 10%

What should I get?

- Intel i7 8700K (new/used), i7 9700K (new), or even AMD Ryzen

- GTX 1080Ti (used), RTX 2080 (new)

I don't really have a clue about AMD Ryzen, and hesitate a bit since Gaming performance seems to be worse. On the otherhand, 8C 16T sounds sweet for rendering. Equally, I struggle with my decision to buy either a GTX 1080Ti for about 600€ (used, with 1 yr warranty left), or a new RTX 2080 (MSI Gaming Trio). What would you guys recommend for my gaming/rendering needs?  

Just now, bebejapes said:

ryzen with 1080ti for a more budget oriented build

But is Ryzen up to the task for rendering? Is it as good as Intel for Premiere Pro? 

Just now, DerGoliHerr said:

But is Ryzen up to the task for rendering? Is it as good as Intel for Premiere Pro? 

premiere pro favours intel but ryzen does still do good for its cost. and if you have budget constraints or just looking for something more reasonable. ryzen is the way to go.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€349.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€129.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  (€330.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€73.33 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€73.33 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€121.88 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€44.90 @ Caseking) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  (€787.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€68.48 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€84.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €2064.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-18 16:11 CET+0100

10 cores of zen power,good looking case,great psu,and rtx 2080 to leverage rtx in your designing projects. If you get a used rtx card it would be more cheaper,It also has a nvme m.2 drive for using as a fast cache/scratch disk to render projects,designs etc and maximise throughput to cpu and your gpu. If you want rgb you can get the msi sli plus x399 board instead it has the same black ascetic with rgb. The ascetic of this build is gonna be full black. 

46 minutes ago, jsonschema said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€349.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€129.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  (€330.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€121.88 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€44.90 @ Caseking) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  (€787.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€68.48 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€84.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €2064.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-18 16:11 CET+0100

10 cores of zen power,good looking case,great psu,and rtx 2080 to leverage rtx in your designing projects. If you get a used rtx card it would be more cheaper,It also has a nvme m.2 drive for using as a fast cache/scratch disk to render projects,designs etc and maximise throughput to cpu and your gpu. If you want rgb you can get the msi sli plus x399 board instead it has the same black ascetic with rgb. The ascetic of this build is gonna be full black. 

Wow, don't even think as far as the last Gen Ryzen X CPUs... great suggestion! Can you elaborate why you went with the RTX 2080 as opposed to the GTX 1080Ti

59 minutes ago, DerGoliHerr said:

Wow, don't even think as far as the last Gen Ryzen X CPUs... great suggestion! Can you elaborate why you went with the RTX 2080 as opposed to the GTX 1080Ti

Threadripper isn't last gen,even gen 2 ryzen is just a rebrand of gen one ryzen with a apu(aka integrated graphics) in built in it. There is like a 5% ipc improvement.

I went with a RTX because you can leverage that ray tracing performance and capability in your designs, a new 1080ti costs the same as a RTX2080 so why not let the RTX card help you with your job.