Need Keyboard Advice

Greenish

So...

Right now I am shopping for a NEW keyboard. As I am currently playing Overwatch professionally I have been using a HP Omen keyboard (a sponsor of our team) but however I am starting to get bored and compared to other keyboards I am using it isnt enough. So here is the deal.

I am looking for a NEW keyboard and Custom keycaps. Here is my criteria

• MUST be mechanical! (like who wants to use a membrane board)
  • MUST have RGB. Preferably per key (I want it to match with my setup theme)
  • CANT have the following switches. Romer G, Outemu, Gaterono or Razer.
  • CANT have a wrist rest (I use my keyboard at a 90° angle and have found that a wrist rest is annoying and makes it look weird)
  • DOESN'T have to have custom macros
  • PREFERABLY don't want it to have a number pad
  • DONT mind how the switch sounds

On the topic of keycaps. I am looking for durable and good looking keycaps. I am fine to buy a kit but does anyone know any websites where you can FULLY customize the keycaps like the colour and stuff.

Cheers Oliver!

idk tbh

What about a Corsair K65 Lux? As far as I know the wristrest is removable.

Otherwise, Steelseries are great. I'm using the M500 with MX Red switches atm and it's amazing. Works perfect despite the fact it dropped from about 4ft and has had bottles of water spilled on it many times..

So, do you have a budget? 

Why not Gateron switches? The linear Gaterons are considered superior to the Cherry equivalents, and Zealios are considered by many to be the best MX style switches on the market. 

The best quality keycaps are double shot PBT ones. Can't imagine you can get a fully customisable set, however you have many options, still. 

This is a fully customisable option. However, it does seem like it's laser etched ABS. That's the horrible kind you typically find on brand name gaming keyboards, though the thickness might be better on these. 

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/ansi-layout-custom-color-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

:)

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

What about a Corsair K65 Lux? As far as I know the wristrest is removable.

Otherwise, Steelseries are great. I'm using the M500 with MX Red switches atm and it's amazing.

I checked out the Corsair K65 Lux. I am not a huge fan of the design. The M500 on the other hand is a keyboard that I will definitely look into

idk tbh

Just now, Greenish said:

I checked out the Corsair K65 Lux. I am not a huge fan of the design. The M500 on the other hand is a keyboard that I will definitely look into

Yeah, just note that I've only ever found them with solid colour backlighting, although I'm sure you can find a Steelseries keyboard with RGB.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

So, do you have a budget? 

Why not Gateron switches? The linear Gaterons are considered superior to the Cherry equivalents, and Zealios are considered by many to be the best MX style switches on the market. 

The best quality keycaps are double shot PBT ones. Can't imagine you can get a fully customisable set, however you have many options, still. 

This is a fully customisable option. However, it does seem like it's laser etched ABS. That's the horrible kind you typically find on brand name gaming keyboards, though the thickness might be better on these. 

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/ansi-layout-custom-color-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

No specific budget but I dont want to go crazy expensive. I havent been a fan of Gaterons for a while. Also thanks for the keycaps, I will probably end up getting those. Thanks!

idk tbh

I've found the M750 TKL that may interest you.. It's an RGB Steelseries keyboard with mechanial switches (not sure what ones) and it is tenkeyless as well.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Yeah, just note that I've only ever found them with solid colour backlighting, although I'm sure you can find a Steelseries keyboard with RGB.

All good. I am also looking into other keyboards. I will probably have to make a few sacrifices in the end

idk tbh

1 minute ago, Greenish said:

All good. I am also looking into other keyboards. I will probably have to make a few sacrifices in the end

You may have to. What keyboard do you have now and what region of the world do you live in? I'll take a look around the internet for keyboards as it's 2am here and I've got nothing to do lol.

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I've found the M750 TKL that may interest you.. It's an RGB Steelseries keyboard with mechanial switches (not sure what ones) and it is tenkeyless as well.

Ok nice. I am currently looking at the Ducky One 2 RGB 80%. I will be sure to check out that aswell

idk tbh

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

You may have to. What keyboard do you have now and what region of the world do you live in? I'll take a look around the internet for keyboards as it's 2am here and I've got nothing to do lol.

I am currently using the HP OMEN Sequencer (its just a free one my team gave me). I currently live in Brisbane Australia.

Thanks for the help!

idk tbh

9 minutes ago, Greenish said:

No specific budget but I dont want to go crazy expensive. I havent been a fan of Gaterons for a while. Also thanks for the keycaps, I will probably end up getting those. Thanks!

Well, what's crazy expensive for you? The enthusiast keyboard community is willing to pay quite a lot for a nice keyboard. As in, several times more than a high end brand name mechanical keyboard. 

If you want some custom options, you can for example look here. Alternatively, just buy a pre assembled PCB with switches, and get your own case, stabilisers, plate and keycaps. That way, you can avoid soldering, while customising everything else. 

https://kbdfans.cn/collections/fully-assembled-keyboard

Some stores are KBDFans, KPRepublic and Novelkeys. You can find all the pieces you need to assemble a keyboard. It's no harder than screwing together a few pieces of metal or plastic. If you want Zealios, there's ZealPC. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

Just now, Greenish said:

I am currently using the HP OMEN Sequencer (its just a free one my team gave me). I currently live in Brisbane Australia.

Thanks for the help!

No problem :) 

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Well, what's crazy expensive for you? The enthusiast keyboard community is willing to pay quite a lot for a nice keyboard. As in, several times more than a high end brand name mechanical keyboard. 

If you want some custom options, you can for example look here. Alternatively, just buy a pre assembled PCB with switches, and get your own case, stabilisers, plate and keycaps. That way, you can avoid soldering, while customising everything else. 

Some stores are KBDFans, KPRepublic and Novelkeys. You can find all the pieces you need to assemble a keyboard. It's no harder than screwing together a few pieces of metal or plastic. If you want Zealios, there's ZealPC. 

I will definitely look into building a custom keyboard. Thanks for the help

idk tbh

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I have a quick question for you. I found the Ducky One 2 RGB https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4284

and I am looking at how much I would spend. I am not sure what the bottom row layout is on this keyboard (e.g. 1x6.0 or 1x6.25)

Plz help

idk tbh

3 minutes ago, Greenish said:

I have a quick question for you. I found the Ducky One 2 RGB https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4284

and I am looking at how much I would spend. I am not sure what the bottom row layout is on this keyboard (e.g. 1x6.0 or 1x6.25)

Plz help

The standard bottom row is 6,25u. 

http://blog.maxkeyboard.com/dwkb/keycap-compatibility-size-chart/