Computer shut off while under load

icecold960

So i'v been trying to play some games with my new graphics card, but on certain games under full load, my whole system crashes. I can't tell if it's thermals or if the power supply isn't good enough. I had HWMonitor going and it doesn't show my cpu going above 80c, while my gpu only goes as high as 60c.

CPU: FX-8350

GPU: Asus Phoenix Single Fan GTX 1060 3gb

RAM: 12gb DDR3 1333mhz (1x4gb,1x8gb)

MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

HDD: 1x1tb Seagate, 1x1tb Western Digital

SSD: 120GB Sandisk Ultra Plus

PSU: 550w Chiefmax

Fans: Stock FX-4300 cpu fan, 2x80mm fans in case

Windows 10 64bit

*NOTE*

I am able to run some other games with the same temps (ie CoD WWII, Fallout 4) for hours on end, But games like PUBG causes the crash. I hope this tid-bit helps

I'm willing to buy a new psu or fan (most likely a fan is what i need) to fix this, but i want to know for sure what i need before ordering, as money is very tight.

Generally if the whole system is shutting off and not just restarting, most likely cause is either 1 of 3 possibilities: Bad CPU, Bad Motherboard, or Bad PSU. What is your motherboard? You don't have it listed. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Oh sorry forgot to put my board. It is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

If it were a bad board or cpu, would it still be able to play other games no problem though

80 is pretty high for a CPU.  I'm willing to bet it's powering down because of heat.  Are you able to swap out the cpu or cooler to see if temps get better and the reboot stops?  Also, I'd recommend a wall power meter for testing your power usage.  You can find them on Amazon for like $20-$30 if you want to be sure it's a PSU issue before getting another PSU.

I guess getting a cooler would be the first step to rule things out. I did a computer wattage calculator online (not sure if those are 100% reliable) and it says my entire system should draw anywhere between 449w-489w under load. Say i have a budget of $50 for a new cooler for my board/cpu, what should i get? Should i save more and get a liquid cooling solution? if so, what should i get? (Sorry for all these questions, I say i'm a computer nerd but there's so many things i know and don't know)

I have noticed (which i don't know why i didn't think of this first) that the stock 8350 fan and heatsink are bigger and better than the 4300's. So i am thinking that is the issue. I found a Cooler Master Vortex Plus, would that be enough to keep it cooler compared to what it currently loads to? if need be i can put a box fan there till i can find the precise cpu cooler i need

I'm not the best person to ask about aftermarket coolers.  I don't really know what's best.  There's usually good reviews just by searching online.  Tom's Hardware seems to be pretty reliable.  Someone else here might be able to help with coolers though, sorry.  

The stock cooler should be fine unless you're overclocking though.  Why was it overheating in the first place is the question.

The cooler i currently have is for a 4300, where as i currently have a 8350 in it. I wasn't thinking to change it, mainly because i only got a cpu and not the bundle. It looks like im going to get the Cooler Master Hyper 212, as reviews of people having it with my cpu shows them getting between 42-52c under load. a LOT better than the 80c i get on certain games lol.