broken gpu fan

tenchu117

so my zotac 1060 6gb amp's fan started to rattle harder than nicki minaj twerking. i replace it with a 90mm fan from a broken asus r9 280 (the fan is fine but the vram is not) through some zip ties n screws right in between the fins as the 90 mm fan is too big for the shroud so its just two fans zipped on the heatsink. however, it appears to me that its temperature is not as good. the gpu always hitting the thermal limit whenever it tries to boost up to 19xx mhz clock. so is there any sugesstion on what i can do to fix this? do i need a proper shroud to make it not thermal throtling?

This is what i did with my friends r9 290 awhile ago. IMG_20180807_150552077_HDR.jpg.505b4dbff404169b4b9046323f029ea8.jpg

I also went into afterburner and underclocked it and had it run alot cooler. Zipties work fine aswell.

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

2 hours ago, JohnDongus said:

This is what i did with my friends r9 290 awhile ago. 

I also went into afterburner and underclocked it and had it run alot cooler. Zipties work fine aswell.

@JohnDongus that looks cool and all but how is but i want it to run everything without underclocking it n maybe a headroom for overclocking so does this method make my goal possible?

Just now, tenchu117 said:

@JohnDongus that looks cool and all but how is but i want it to run everything without underclocking it n maybe a headroom for overclocking so does this method make my goal possible?

There are aftermarket watercooling adapters for AIO coolers. That would let you overclock (possibly)

I undervolted the card but overclocked the clock and memory speeds You dont have to take a performance hit.

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

2 hours ago, Astarore said:

Why not just replace the fan with another oem fan?

Sounds like the bearing on the original fan went bad is all.

@Astarore oem fans? in my local store theres 0 of that oem fans (im from malaysia) even in local online store i have no luck in finding a 87mm fan. all i could find is from aliexpress which you know... took two whole months to arrive.

3 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

There are aftermarket watercooling adapters for AIO coolers. That would let you overclock (possibly)

I undervolted the card but overclocked the clock and memory speeds You dont have to take a performance hit.

i see, can u link to me how those adapters if its not too much to ask 

1 minute ago, tenchu117 said:

i see, can u link to me how those adapters if its not too much to ask 

here is the whole thing AIO + Bracket says it works with 1060

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-hybrid-iii-120.html 

Here is just a bracket https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g12-white

I did not check if this one works with the 1060

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

i have looked up the link it wont fit the shroud as its using the y with motor in the middle shaped mounting also i nvr used taobao before im not sure if its accepting my debit card but thanks for the link anyways 

3 minutes ago, tenchu117 said:

debit card but thanks for the link anyways 

I may have linked a diff card fan, but Im sure you will find some around.

also its not a must to use dr / cr card if you dont feel save

6 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

btw zotac comes with 5yr warranty, they should fix it for you

@dgsddfgdfhgs the guy that sell me this card says alrdy passed the warranty period as it has only 2 years of warranty n the seal sticker on one of the screw looks broken when i receive it. i doubt zotac will cover the warranty for it anymore