Media Storage Computer

henry1000

Hello, for a few months that I told my mom that I would build a computer for her to store movies, series, videos and some files from work.

The only thing that I have is the case (Nox Media HD).

I would like to request you guys to advise me in a build, it doesn't need to be something extreme. I would like to build an affordable computer, since it is just for storage.

Regards :)

Hello, for a few months that I told my mom that I would build a computer for her to store movies, series, videos and some files from work.

The only thing that I have is the case (Nox Media HD).

I would like to request you guys to advise me in a build, it doesn't need to be something extreme. I would like to build an affordable computer, since it is just for storage.

Regards :)

Will you be using it only for storage or will you be connecting it as a media center or so? There's no room for more than 1 HDD so i'm guessing no RAID setups. I would recommend a low end board/cpu combination with focus on a big HDD. You could install linux on it and run it as NAS or so or use XBMC if you're looking for a media center setup

Will you be using it only for storage or will you be connecting it as a media center or so? There's no room for more than 1 HDD so i'm guessing no RAID setups. I would recommend a low end board/cpu combination with focus on a big HDD. You could install linux on it and run it as NAS or so or use XBMC if you're looking for a media center setup

I was thinking of installing Windows 7, since it is easier to share folders inside the network and for my mother to use. Can you recommend hardware parts for this build?

id go cheap pentium or apu, maybe a dual core apu, may be able to get away with it.

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

id go cheap pentium or apu, maybe a dual core apu, may be able to get away with it.

Can you recommend hardware parts for this build?

I was thinking of installing Windows 7, since it is easier to share folders inside the network and for my mother to use. Can you recommend hardware parts for this build?

I did this really quick, and I'm sure others could recommend better builds, basically since you don't have load on the system you can go as cheap as you want.

I would still recommend Linux, if it's a storage PC your mom won't be accessing it directly, instead she will be only accessing a network folder from her own PC or any other device. Windows 7 here in my opinion is a waste of resources and money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  (€35.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard:  ASRock H61M-GS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (€37.36 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory:  Patriot Signature 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  (€30.99 @ Pixmania DE)

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€100.99 @ Pixmania DE)

Power Supply:  Be Quiet 300W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  (€46.93 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €252.16

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-08 18:09 CET+0100)

I did this really quick, and I'm sure others could recommend better builds, basically since you don't have load on the system you can go as cheap as you want.

I would still recommend Linux, if it's a storage PC your mom won't be accessing it directly, instead she will be only accessing a network folder from her own PC or any other device. Windows 7 here in my opinion is a waste of resources and money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  (€35.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard:  ASRock H61M-GS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (€37.36 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory:  Patriot Signature 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  (€30.99 @ Pixmania DE)

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€100.99 @ Pixmania DE)

Power Supply:  Be Quiet 300W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  (€46.93 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €252.16

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-08 18:09 CET+0100)

I talked about Windows 7, since I know how to share folders and configure all the things necessary. I never made a NAS using linux.