RAM

Ory!

Hi, I have two sticks of 16GB 2400MHz Corsair Vengence ddr4 and I was wondering if I can put two 4GB 2400MHz Corsair Vengence ddr4.

Thanks!

If you are asking if you can add two more sticks of ddr4 ram to your current 2x8gb set up, the answer is yes

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

It will likely work but if you're running dual channel you will probably lose it, which you might not necessarily even notice. Just make sure the system is off and unplugged when you install the extra RAM into the correct slots.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Why would you need 40gb of RAM tho

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

1 minute ago, bleedblue said:

hehe hehe manny incognito tabs  

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

It will likely work but if you're running dual channel you will probably lose it, which you might not necessarily even notice. Just make sure the system is off and unplugged when you install the extra RAM into the correct slots.

I have four dims so two will be occupied by the two 16gb sticks and the other two by two 4 GB sticks

1 minute ago, Ory! said:

I have four dims so two will be occupied by the two 16gb sticks and the other two by two 4 GB sticks

Yes that is correct. Doesn't change anything on what I said though. There is no issues there. It will likely work because they seem to be the same sticks of ram (sometimes mixing RAM sticks will not always work).

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

4 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Chrome can use up 16GB of RAM pretty easily, trust me. A game running in the background, Discord, Chrome, and a file server all on one PC at once will require lots of RAM.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Yes that is correct. Doesn't change anything on what I said though. There is no issues there. It will likely work because they seem to be the same sticks of ram (sometimes mixing RAM sticks will not always work).

Thank you! I plan to overclock the ram to hell so and water blocks on them but the symmetry was annoying me

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Chrome can use up 16GB of RAM pretty easily, trust me. A game running in the background, Discord, Chrome, and a file server all on one PC at once will require lots of RAM.

it cants handle all my incognito tabs hehe hehe

13 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Everyone always says that but I've never had an issue. QfyE6vR.jpg

All those tabs open. All those youtube tabs have videos playing at the same time. Discord is open an active, spotify streaming, 2 GPUs folding at max power, steam open. Im using ~7GB of RAM. You can clearly see the big spike in usage, but its still just using 7GB.

11 minutes ago, Ory! said:

Thank you! I plan to overclock the ram to hell so and water blocks on them but the symmetry was annoying me

Not to disappoint but just a fair warning, you'll probably spend a fortune for very little gain. It will look amazing though.

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Everyone always says that but I've never had an issue. QfyE6vR.jpg

All those tabs open. All those youtube tabs have videos playing at the same time. Discord is open an active, spotify streaming, 2 GPUs folding at max power, steam open. Im using ~7GB of RAM. 

That's pretty surprising, I use 8GB of RAM with just a few Chrome tabs and hit 16GB pretty early. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

That's pretty surprising, I use 8GB of RAM with just a few Chrome tabs and hit 16GB pretty early. 

And just to add for evidence this has been the same across maybe 3-4 systems I've built, some DDR3, some DDR4. Only system I ever had issues with was a machine with Windows Vista (ew I know) and 6GB DDR2.

I also have a problem with using so little ram