Help installing windows 10

Ganamede

Just built an asus z390-e PC but I don't know how to install windows on it. Do I go to the "creator a windows shell in uefi" tab? I tried installing a windows 10 usb, but it causes my keyboard not to work. Also causes the system to hang iff its installed before I boot up the computer. I have a Microsoft windows 10 usb from Microsoft....

did you go into the bios and change the boot order to boot off of the USB stick with windows on it?

You insert USB and boot to BIOS. From boot order, you set USB as first priority. Then you reboot and press any key to enter installer when asked. After that you can follow many guides on what each part of process means. Though only important one is partitioning and drive selection.

Is this for completely new build or are you re-using drive with old OS?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, Ganamede said:

Just built an asus z390-e PC but I don't know how to install windows on it. Do I go to the "creator a windows shell in uefi" tab? I tried installing a windows 10 usb, but it causes my keyboard not to work. Also causes the system to hang iff its installed before I boot up the computer. I have a Microsoft windows 10 usb from Microsoft....

If your system hang BEFORE you boot up the computer - then it's very strange (or even impossible - boot goes first). The same about keyboard - no matter how you boot your Win10 installation media and no matter what settings do you have in BIOS - keyboard should always work. Try to check everything in your build - all cables etc.

Well, I got it working. I had to go to the "ez" mode from the bios, and from there set up the boot order and select the windows boot option. Wasn't really able to do that from the boot order page as it would save the boot order, but it wouldn't reboot (in a novice. Idk how to reboot from the main bios page.)

Always, now that I've installed windows 10 (was purchased from Microsoft, not a copy of an updated version of windows,) now it doesn't recognize the wi-fi adapter. Might be because dual channel wi-fi wasn't a thing back when windows 10 was released??? So now I gotta move my tv & my computer to another room where I can use ethernet. I'm hoping that the wi-fi adapter will show up. Might even need to update the bios.

Also, I had to install the usb w10 and the keyboard on separate usb hubs (one on the case usb ports and one on the mb usb ports.) Hopefully that's not a problem after the updates, but it's possible that I got something wrong during the build. 

16 hours ago, Ganamede said:

...now it doesn't recognize the wi-fi adapter. Might be because dual channel wi-fi wasn't a thing back when windows 10 was released???

Thats not it, its just missing drivers. Dual band was a thing way before Win10.

So now I gotta move my tv & my computer to another room where I can use ethernet. I'm hoping that the wi-fi adapter will show up. Might even need to update the bios.

Is it internal? And it doesn't show up in device manager? In that case take a look if its somehow disabled in BIOS. Otherwise just install drivers from mobo's support site.

Also, I had to install the usb w10 and the keyboard on separate usb hubs (one on the case usb ports and one on the mb usb ports.) Hopefully that's not a problem after the updates, but it's possible that I got something wrong during the build. 

You mean they don't work with both connected to mobo? Case ports are something you shouldn't use when installing OS anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

26 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Case ports are something you shouldn't use when installing OS anyway.

It's the same controller. Maybe years ago, when low quality USB2.0 ports was connected to second motherboard controller, it was true, or on old motherboards, when you upgrading BIOS (FAT32 required and only USB2.0 ports), but now I don't think it makes any difference in good quality case with good quality USB3 connectors.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

It's the same controller. Maybe years ago, when low quality USB2.0 ports was connected to second motherboard controller, it was true, or on old motherboards, when you upgrading BIOS (FAT32 required and only USB2.0 ports), but now I don't think it makes any difference in good quality case with good quality USB3 connectors.

Though for new builder there's bigger possibility that case connector is loose and causes problems.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I got everything working except the aio rgb (and maybe the pump!?!?) So updating windows fixed the wifi problem. I updated to the October 2018 build and everything runs smoothly. The usb problem seems to be fixed as well, however on the Asus website it says that the new bios version (17xx,) fixes some issue with the usb ports. 

I think that the wifi didn't show up because it is dual channel, and so it probably wasn't supported with the older versions of windows 10. Just hoping that the bios flash fixes the pump rgb..... (been running my computer all night with some medium loads so I think that the water pump is working. Still cool air coming out of the fan case tough.) As of right now I haven't updated the bios; I gotta run to best buy to pick up a usb drive... 

20 hours ago, Ganamede said:

I think that the wifi didn't show up because it is dual channel, and so it probably wasn't supported with the older versions of windows 10. Just hoping that the bios flash fixes the pump rgb..... (been running my computer all night with some medium loads so I think that the water pump is working. Still cool air coming out of the fan case tough.) As of right now I haven't updated the bios; I gotta run to best buy to pick up a usb drive... 

What wrong with rgb? No control or no lights?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv