MSI z390m "All settings were reset to default values" error

radmanhs

I just got my 9900k and threw everything together.  I noticed however I got this error when I tried making any changes to the bios, even just trying to change to xmp.  I updated to the latest bios and checked to make sure the battery was reading the correct voltage.

Any ideas why I get this?

Specs:

msi z390m

seasonic 760xp2

32gb corsair lpx

samsung 970 boot ssd  

IMG_1662.JPG

That message is actually different to the CMOS Reset message, it's caused when the board detects settings that it is unable to boot with.

Does it do it every single time you boot (even after no changes) or only after you enable XMP?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That message is actually different to the CMOS Reset message, it's caused when the board detects settings that it is unable to boot with.

Does it do it every single time you boot (even after no changes) or only after you enable XMP?

looks like it only resets when I activate xmp mode.  It will boot with no changes and changes to a couple different settings.

Just now, radmanhs said:

looks like it only resets when I activate xmp mode.  It will boot with no changes and changes to a couple different settings.

Either the board is applying incorrect RAM settings in XMP mode or the RAM is reporting incorrect settings to the board in its XMP Profile.

Leave XMP off for now, boot into Windows, grab CPUz and run it, click the RAM tab and it will list all the JEDEC & XMP Profile settings stored on the RAM. Confirm the XMP settings reported match the settings listed on the packaging of the RAM.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, radmanhs said:

What XMP profile do you activate?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

28 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

What XMP profile do you activate?

28 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Either the board is applying incorrect RAM settings in XMP mode or the RAM is reporting incorrect settings to the board in its XMP Profile.

Leave XMP off for now, boot into Windows, grab CPUz and run it, click the RAM tab and it will list all the JEDEC & XMP Profile settings stored on the RAM. Confirm the XMP settings reported match the settings listed on the packaging of the RAM.

The xmp profile is reporting the correct timings, voltage and speed. Seems like it might be the motherboard.  When I ran a couuple sticks in slots 2/4 it worked, while 1/3 didn't

I think I found the culprit, there is one stick that won't post.  Guess it somehow got damaged during the transfer from my old system.

45 minutes ago, radmanhs said:

I think I found the culprit, there is one stick that won't post.  Guess it somehow got damaged during the transfer from my old system.

I'm probably just being super paranoid but just in case, can you try that stick in another slot or your old computer and confirm its dead. My worry is that slots 2 & 4 booting while 1 & 3 don't is a classic sign of CPU socket damage.

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm probably just being super paranoid but just in case, can you try that stick in another slot or your old computer and confirm its dead. My worry is that slots 2 & 4 booting while 1 & 3 don't is a classic sign of CPU socket damage.

Heres an edit to my previous conclusion.  Apparently it isn't a dead stick.  I can't run in dual channel.  I can run a single stick now in any slot, or 2 sticks in single channel.

2 minutes ago, radmanhs said:

Heres an edit to my previous conclusion.  Apparently it isn't a dead stick.  I can't run in dual channel.  I can run a single stick now in any slot, or 2 sticks in single channel.

Pull the CPU and check the socket for bent pins. Also inspect the board around the cooler mountings for any scratches or damage.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Pull the CPU and check the socket for bent pins. Also inspect the board around the cooler mountings for any scratches or damage.

Alright, that's the last thing I wanted to hear since I'm  using a custom loop... but I'll check

On 11/14/2018 at 3:00 AM, Master Disaster said:

Welp, I went through and replaced the entire motherboard and I'm getting the same error.  My next guess is damaged memory.  So I'm going to run to the store and see if a different kit works.

• 2 years later...
On 11/17/2018 at 4:29 PM, radmanhs said:

Welp, I went through and replaced the entire motherboard and I'm getting the same error.  My next guess is damaged memory.  So I'm going to run to the store and see if a different kit works.

Did getting a new kit end up fixing it? I'm having the same issues.