Need help

schnuckss

Hey everyone I recently bought my first gaming computer from Bestbuy. I know I should have built one but the wife said I could buy it today and not in 6 months so I caved and bought one here are the specs

hp omen 

i7-7700

16 gb ram 2133Mhz

gtx 1070

cpu cooler is a basic air cooler

acer 27” 144hz monitor

250 gb ssd as boot drive

1 tb hd for games

my question to y’all is what should I upgrade or what can I improve on to get better performance out of it? 

What other info do y’all need to help me out? 

Budget is about 200-300 usd

playing cod and fortnite and streaming at the same time and I’m maxing out the cpu 

Seems fairly competent to me.  With the budget you could get higher-speed RAM though.

You can't overclock a non-K 7700 I don't think.

Could check to see what your temps are on the CPU to see if your throttling as well with the basic air cooler, maybe upgrade that.

Or, save a few bucks more and build a budget dedicated PC to handle your streaming to offload some of the strain from the gaming PC.

Looks pretty good to me even for streaming. As mentioned above you should check your CPU temps while streaming or running a stress test.

Also, do you know what RAM you have? It might be able to go faster with XMP enabled. (assuming it's not on already)

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

That's actually a surprisingly good computer for a pre-built. 

I'd upgrade the CPU cooler.

You CAN overclock the non-K version of the 7700, but it's harder, and you have to have a motherboard that supports it. It's harder because you can't just change the multiplier to change the CPU frequency. You have to change the CPU base frequency, which affects the PCIe frequency and RAM frequency. Some motherboards allow you to "disconnect" the PCIe frequency from the cpu frequency which is a good thing if you plan on overclocking)

Oh, it's an HP, probably with a proprietary motherboard which likely does not allow overclocking. :)

I'd save the money. The system is pretty good and there really isn't anything that would make a remarkable performance difference. As @corrado33 suggested, you might consider a cpu cooler upgrade if the box gets too noisy. The case is only 165mm wide, so choices may be limited.

You might take a look at the peripherals, perhaps some improvement can be made in that area.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Hey everyone thank you for the replies. I’m thinking I’m going to get a new cpu cooler going to do some research into which ones will fit maybe a Aio water cooled something with a single 120 mm fan. Any suggestions? 

On 11/11/2018 at 1:54 PM, schnuckss said:

so I caved

Wise but costly move. ;)

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018