650w suitable enough?

Laughingman91

Ho folks, about to purchase a i9 9900k and a 2080ti build with a h150i AIO, an an elgato capture card.
BeQuiet Dark Base RGB 700 case.

The build configurator provides options for lower power PSU's - and I figured even with modern low powered tech, a 550w won't cut the mustard.

650w would seem like a smart choice to my uninformed ignorance, but is an 850w overkill?

I'm thinking to take the 4 HDD's from my current build (2009) and have them in an external enclosure which I expect would have it's own power brick.

But would the system take the extra 4 if I chose to fit them inside the case? Plus a blu ray drive?
Never investigated the power side of things, hoping some brainbox can clue me in. Cheers!

[Edit]

The live chat for the website had the following suggestion:

Hello, a 650w power supply is the bare minimum for this spec system, you may wish to consider upgrading to an 850w power supply due to the power consumption of the i9-9900k and the 2080Ti being much greater than that of previous generation processors and graphics cards, however, a 650w should be able to pull the weight of both of these.

If your going to spend all that money why not get a nice power supply too?  I'd go for 850W or more.  And 80+ Gold at least (preferably platinum) 

650w is plenty.  850w isn't necessarily overkill, because it doesn't adversly affect you if you have a 850w psu, but you should be fine with 650w.  

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

2 minutes ago, brendon7358 said:

If your going to spend all that money why not get a nice power supply too?  I'd go for 850W or more.  And 80+ Gold at least (preferably platinum) 

more wattage =/= "nicer" psu.  Also a better efficiency doesn't always mean better. @Laughingman91 an evga g3 or seasonic focus gold + (or a corsair rm650x if you want to spend more money) are all great.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

5 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

more wattage =/= "nicer" psu.  

This.

Just because it says "650W" doesn't mean it won't kill your PC in a year's time.. or that it can even put out 650W (not like there's any "PSU governing body" to make sure labels are honest.)

So just be careful what 650W you get.  Because a GOOD QUALITY 650W is more than enough.

Seeing as you're buying overclocking parts one can presume you will be overclocking? In that case I would suggest a bigger 850w, but if you're not (don't know why you wouldn't with that hardware) you could try undervolting the CPU to save some power and get a half decent 650w, or even just split the difference and get something like my Corsair rm750? 

1 hour ago, D-J97 said:

Seeing as you're buying overclocking parts one can presume you will be overclocking? In that case I would suggest a bigger 850w, but if you're not (don't know why you wouldn't with that hardware) you could try undervolting the CPU to save some power and get a half decent 650w, or even just split the difference and get something like my Corsair rm750? 

Even under synthetic load with peak turbo on every core his system would only draw around 420w... that leaves him 200w to play with under synthetic load which doesn't actually happen in any real world scenario. While gaming for example, even in an intensive game, he'd be more around 350w max. That leaves him with 300w of headroom, there is no way he's going to double his power consumption overclocking, especially with his cooling setup.

650w is plenty, just make sure you pick a high quality PSU:

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

26 minutes ago, TheAgnda said:

Even under synthetic load with peak turbo on every core his system would only draw around 420w... that leaves him 200w to play with under synthetic load which doesn't actually happen in any real world scenario. While gaming for example, even in an intensive game, he'd be more around 350w max. That leaves him with 300w of headroom, there is no way he's going to double his power consumption overclocking, especially with his cooling setup.

650w is plenty, just make sure you pick a high quality PSU:

Oh okay, id have thought it would've drawn more, but I'm aware I don't know everything so ?

12 hours ago, brendon7358 said:

I really don't think he needs 850W

doing the math the 9900K is a 250W CPU and the 1080 ti is a 350W GPU, so you are looking at 600W for those two components (when overclocked and maxed out) the other stuff doesn't draw that much, keep in mind that I am talking about a 100% cpu/gpu scenario.

And 80+ gold/platinum is very ambiguous, 80+ isn't a standard for quality

12 hours ago, Laughingman91 said:

Ho folks, about to purchase a i9 9900k and a 2080ti build with a h150i AIO, an an elgato capture card.
BeQuiet Dark Base RGB 700 case.

The build configurator provides options for lower power PSU's - and I figured even with modern low powered tech, a 550w won't cut the mustard.

650w would seem like a smart choice to my uninformed ignorance, but is an 850w overkill?

I'm thinking to take the 4 HDD's from my current build (2009) and have them in an external enclosure which I expect would have it's own power brick.

But would the system take the extra 4 if I chose to fit them inside the case? Plus a blu ray drive?
Never investigated the power side of things, hoping some brainbox can clue me in. Cheers!

[Edit]

The live chat for the website had the following suggestion:

Hello, a 650w power supply is the bare minimum for this spec system, you may wish to consider upgrading to an 850w power supply due to the power consumption of the i9-9900k and the 2080Ti being much greater than that of previous generation processors and graphics cards, however, a 650w should be able to pull the weight of both of these.

People go mad with wattage, 650-750W is fine

Focus on quality not wattage