Networking at University

Hello everybody.

So, at my university whatever connects to the internet has to be registered, that is when you connect your smartphone/pc to the internet either via ethernet or via wifi you have to download a software in which you put your IT credentials, some magic happens and vualá! You're connected...

Thing is, I wanted to connect my hue bridge (the one for those fancy RGB lamps that you control via mobile) to the network and that obviously doesn't work as I can't do any of the credentials and software stuff... I also wanted to in the future connect a NAS server but I doubt the university would have the software for whatever version of Linux the NAS is running... That leads to my question... Is there a solution? Could I install some kind of network switch card in my computer and daisy chain "approved" internet since the software in my computer would verify the connection? This seems like a very niche problem... The intersection of the groups "University Student" and "Wants a NAS at their student halls room" is probably very small so I don't know if anyone has actually put much thought into this but you never know...

Wifi would be useless for me, I need wired connections. The Phillies Bridge only works via ethernet and for the NAS even if it worked wirelessly the speeds would not be acceptable for a NAS.

Do you first connect to the network (without internet access) and enter then the credentials giving you internet access? A router should work then. You connect the WAN port to the network and your devices to the lan ports. The network sees this as one device because the router (NAT) translates all outgoing traffic to using its own ip. Any needed configuration (IP, gateway, etc) ofc has to be set on the router instead of the pc. You can then use the software on the pc to enter the credentials.

I have a similar network where this special software is just a ssh client with the stored ip address of the login server.

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Ask IT if they can register the MAC Address of a DDWRT router's WiFi card that you can use to get ethernet.

You can also bridge a computers WiFi and Ethernet port