Basic Home File/Media Server

rexy2346

Hello!

I've been planning for a long time now, and I am now starting to look into components to build a basic server that I can access anywhere I am. Does anybody have any suggestions, or recommendations on what would be good for this?

Check ebay for old used rackmount servers for eventually finding cheap enterprise-grade systems, especially talking about the HP ProLiant lineups, including DL360 and DL380 gens 5 and 6. If you're looking for something less noisy, go for a tower you can build yourself, since rackmount servers are especially loud. Then from there checkout OSes you might wan't to go for, windows server is a solid OS and packs a few features like data deduplication which are great. Otherwise you can go for a linux server for free, or simply a desktop alternative.

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

what budget? prebuild or build it yourself (PCMR). what system? as a file server only?

I'm looking around a max of $500-800 I know that's not much for something like this, but there's always room to improve it later on. I would also would like it to possibly be a cache server for some of the most common things we download on steam

Edit: I would like it to be custom built for easier upgrade later on

those things don't require that much compute power. this is just an example of what you could do, but I am looking into building something from some old components myself. just something like this, with some hdd's or ssd's and you will probebly be fine for a long time

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $96.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $62.99 @ Newegg
Case Cougar - MX500 ATX Mid Tower Case $50.70 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $50.25 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $350.92
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $320.92
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-05 12:21 EST-0500  

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

those things don't require that much compute power. this is just an example of what you could do, but I am looking into building something from some old components myself. just something like this, with some hdd's or ssd's and you will probebly be fine for a long time

Type Item Price
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $50.25 @ Newegg
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $320.92

Building a very similar system for the girlfriend who will mainly watch Netflix and play bingo on the computer :) Really good value on that processor.

Just now, LinusOnLine said:

Building a very similar system for the girlfriend who will mainly watch Netflix and play bingo on the computer :) Really good value on that processor.

for your usecase you could even get a 220ge, but the budget allowed me to do this. just to let you both know

35 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Type Item Price
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $320.92

This is very close to the system I have at home as my media server. It's mostly used to play downloaded movies and TV shows through Plex, but also as a comic book/graphic novel server using Calibre.

It knocks both of these tasks out the park, as you would expect. Never had a problem with it.