M.2 Extender cable mod

cMiel

Sooooooo.... I got a new Thinkpad A485 and I discovered that the m.2 size was 2248. Since this is the worst m.2 type from what I gathered, I opted to Linus it up and do some janky modding. I saw a M.2 extender cable for sale on Amazon, so my plan is basically to install it with a 2280 and some electrical tape either to the chassis or somewhere on the board. Is that even possible or safe? 

True. If it falls off though, it could short. Electrical tape will work. You could also fashion up a small caddy.

Sata SSDs are different as they come in cases. But M2s will have exposed boards.

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

Sata SSDs are different as they come in cases. 

Going to assume clarify that you mean 2.5" drives. SATA isn't a form factor.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Yeah, I mean that. XD SATA 2.5 inch is the most common SATA (socket) drive form factor.

There are SATA based SD card readers, there are SATA over m2 (IIRC, or is it a different connector?), and lots of other stuff.

But most stores list "SATA" and "M2" and "PCIe" as the connection, and have a single form factor for each (minus the M2 length options I guess).

Just mentioning how, while only a PCB like the M2, 2.5 inch drives come in a full case. It could be exposed like the bottom of a HDD is, or like the entire M2 card is. Actually, is anyone doing a potted/case covered m2 drive?

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 2:34 AM, TechyBen said:

True. If it falls off though, it could short. Electrical tape will work. You could also fashion up a small caddy.

Sata SSDs are different as they come in cases. But M2s will have exposed boards.

Caddy as in wrapping the board in tape, or...?

On 10/29/2018 at 2:34 AM, TechyBen said:

I used this cable - https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32839154180.html