PC for programmers / software developers

Hi all, 

Does anyone have any benchmarking results that would indicate if it's better to have a CPU with better single core performance VS CPU with larger core count taking into account a programmers job? 

I do know that one could write a software on a potato pc and that's true, but the workload I'm interested in is more of a full stack web developer, doing mid to large projects.

Nowadays creating a modern web application includes a solution with atleast 20 projects to build (many of those are built in parallel), running locally a web server for test and Debugging. Often not only single webapp but also several other web api services that communicate with each other. On the side there always is some local DB server (usually sql server, oracle or mongo). 

A lot of other stuff is either being run on or created as containers, running a local instance of Docker with several images is quite often a must. 

Othrr pc components are not of my concern here, 16gb of ram and large SSD is a must.

On 90% of machines that I meet in work, I find Intel cpus, at least mid level core-I5 or entry level core-i7. What I'm looking for is if would be better to have a Ryzen with larger core counts? If so, by how much? 

My friend does programming on many PCs, multi threaded performance is what code loves. Getting a Ryzen 5 or 7 or an i7 is usually great for code.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Best PC for programmer should be Pentium III 1 GHz with 1 GB ram. At least all written programs will be fast on any modern computers. :)

If you'll be compiling a lot, you'll want plenty of cores and ram. The same goes for virtualization and containers. DBs are often limited by your storage speed more than by your cpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is your budget?

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018