First Build Guidance

Baymax

I am building an AMD Ryzen 2600/Asus B450 F-Gaming Mobo computer for my 10 year old daughter. I’m am pretty set on this Mobo.

I strictly console game, but have upgraded existing computers when I was younger. I need assistance on my PSU and GPU. I want the GPU under $200, with a back plate and dual fans. I would like a fully modular PSU. I don’t know what kind of ceiling I should have - maybe 600w for future upgrades? There is a good chance this computer becomes mine, if this is just a fad for her. 

RGB is important to her. She will be playing Sims 4 and Fortnite, with YouTube dreams, right, so some video editing. I’ve linked the current build I have on PC Part Picker. I have already purchased the case. GPUs are damn expensive, so I can upgrade later if it becomes mine. I’m hoping to snipe some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. I plan to do mild overclocks. 

With rebates and all, I want to be $800-$825. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/circuitj/saved/GZwCbv

Looks good to me, except the PSU. I would recommend this EVGA unit, or this or this Corsair unit.

As far as the GPU, that will play Sims and Fortnite just fine at 1080p. Most likely medium-ish settings for 60fps. You could buy a used GTX 970/980 or R9 390 for the same or less than the 1050 Ti though and that will perform a bit better. They are old enough that they most likely were not mining cards, but are still new enough to be relevant and perform well in games.

edit: I like you're scheme of buying her a computer and hoping it ends up yours. I will have to try this with my future wife as an excuse to do mild builds like I've always wanted to. Thanks for the idea :D

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

12 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Looks good to me, except the PSU. I would recommend this EVGA unit, or this or this Corsair unit.

As far as the GPU, that will play Sims and Fortnite just fine at 1080p. Most likely medium-ish settings for 60fps. You could buy a used GTX 970/980 or R9 390 for the same or less than the 1050 Ti though and that will perform a bit better. They are old enough that they most likely were not mining cards, but are still new enough to be relevant and perform well in games.

edit: I like you're scheme of buying her a computer and hoping it ends up yours. I will have to try this with my future wife as an excuse to do mild builds like I've always wanted to. Thanks for the idea :D

Haha, I seriously hope it becomes mine. If this all goes well, and she latches on to it, I will build something better for myself...maybe. 

Thanks for the PSU suggestions. I had been eyeing the first one you linked. 

In regards to the GPU, what would you suggest to have Fortnite get 75+ frames at high settings? Being honest, I’m a 30 year old dude that gets down with Fortnite. I’d like to see how I’d fare on PC. When kids are at school of course. I play during hours APAC is sleeping and kids are in school. I’m a god in multiplayer then lol. 

One of the issues with the OP build is that the RGB is not compatible across all components. The other issue is the psu.

I personally don't particularly like the ROG STRIX B450-F because the graphics on the chipset heat sink are a decal, i.e. no RGB involved.

Consider an MSI motherboard instead as the memory and case lighting is compatible with the motherboard Mystic Light lighting control.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($107.37 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($145.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($86.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox K500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($41.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $782.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-27 02:14 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Lmao. I would say a 1060 6GB, or RX 570/580 8GB. The 570 is the cheapest of the bunch, some models coming close to the 1050 Ti in price, and all handily beat it in games. Also, you can look used  like I mentioned at a GTX 970 or 980, or R9 390 or R9 Fury/Fury X

2 minutes ago, brob said:

I would recommend more than 550W minimum if OP plans on putting a different GPU in. Not much more in price and will have plenty of headroom should he want to upgrade.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

8 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Lmao. I would say a 1060 6GB, or RX 570/580 8GB. The 570 is the cheapest of the bunch, some models coming close to the 1050 Ti in price, and all handily beat it in games. Also, you can look used  like I mentioned at a GTX 970 or 980, or R9 390 or R9 Fury/Fury X

I would recommend more than 550W minimum if OP plans on putting a different GPU in. Not much more in price and will have plenty of headroom should he want to upgrade.

More capacity never really hurts, but one could put a GTX 1080 in the build and still be 100W over max draw. Which should be enough to handle mild overclocking.

I have been checking the 8gb RX570 because of the price. I just need one with a back plate. I’ll do some more investigating. There are some good sales currently. 

In regards to the Mobo and RGB, that was a concern of mine. I am also considering the Trident Ram. This MSI board does it default red for the color? I’m on my phone, so I’ll do my research and compile an updated list, tomorrow. 

Edit: Trying to avoid anything red in this build. 

Thanks guys. 

The red shown in the pictures is RGB so it can be controlled through the Mystic Light software.

6 minutes ago, brob said:

The red shown in the pictures is RGB so it can be controlled through the Mystic Light software.

I’m sold. That saves some cash. It has two RGB headers and four fan headers like the ROG. 

The case arrived today and I purchased the GPU. It’s hard to not just buy this all at once. Do you think I’d see further savings on the remaining items if I wait till Cyber Monday?

3 hours ago, Baymax said:

The case arrived today and I purchased the GPU. It’s hard to not just buy this all at once. Do you think I’d see further savings on the remaining items if I wait till Cyber Monday?

honestly, I think any of these things could go on sale excluding the ryzen5 2600 since its already so low. 

Also, just a silly idea, wait for cyber monday and use the rest of the parts as incentive, thats what my parents do to me since i'm a teen (they're holding a 144hz monitor over my head right now). 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

11 hours ago, mxk. said:

honestly, I think any of these things could go on sale excluding the ryzen5 2600 since its already so low. 

Also, just a silly idea, wait for cyber monday and use the rest of the parts as incentive, thats what my parents do to me since i'm a teen (they're holding a 144hz monitor over my head right now). 

My parents did that to me when I was a teenager, not cool. I vowed I’d never do that to my child. I’m mean look at what she is getting at 10 years old. In my career , we have 20 monitors on the walls and 3 on our desks. You should tell your parents they are robbing you of the experience necessary for corporate America lol. 

12 hours ago, mxk. said:

my parents hold my phone, roku, tv, laptop, and ps4 over my head oof

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

my parents hold my phone, roku, tv, laptop, and ps4 over my head oof

I don't even own that much of my own stuff what the fuck. I just have my phone and pc

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

6 minutes ago, Baymax said:

My parents did that to me when I was a teenager, not cool. I vowed I’d never do that to my child. I’m mean look at what she is getting at 10 years old. In my career , we have 20 monitors on the walls and 3 on our desks. You should tell your parents they are robbing you of the experience necessary for corporate America lol. 

Oooo a cool parent. If I tell my parents that my dream of an actually good display is down the toilet, I'm chugging along on one of the first 1080p monitors from dell that has terrible colors at the moment.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Follow-up question on a monitor. Can this RX570 8g OC push 2k resolution? You think it is worth buying her a 2k monitor, 144hz, IPS, FreeSync - 24”-27” maybe curved?

• 3 weeks later...

I have finished the build. The 24” ViewSonic 144hz FreeSync monitor is coming today. I figure I’ll wait for that to arrive before booting it up, and hopefully everything goes well. Probably should have booted it sooner but whatever. 

Everything look good? I have a 5 way RGB splitter attached to the header, hopefully that doesn’t present a problem. 

221A50DA-92C6-4360-B349-E3EC67B7B7CB.jpeg

7AEC2215-304B-4A7C-A7C0-EA685A75E894.jpeg