Making tethering stable?

GalaxyGamer

hey due to recently not being able to use an ethernet cable for internet, I'm forced to use wireless signal. since i dont have a wifi card im currently using my phones tethering feature to use wifi. with using this it can be reliable sometimes but for most of the time it drops and i get disconnected. is there anyway to make tethering more stable?

side notes

the router is relatively close(not allowed to run ethernet through the house)

im using 5G

im tethering via usb

You've pretty much done it.

If there's a part of your house that gets better cell coverage than others you might be able to move your phone closer to that

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Just now, beersykins said:

If there's a part of your house that gets better cell coverage than others you might be able to move your phone closer to that

ill try moving my phone around see if thats helpful. thank you for your response.

2 minutes ago, beersykins said:

It sounds like you are using the phone as a USB WiFi adapter, not to access the cell network.

As such the answer is what you might expect, get a proper WiFi adapter.

In my experience tethering tends to disconnect after a while if not in active use, plus its really not intended to be used like this so your experience may vary.  Not that there is really any reason why this shouldn't work, but there isn't really much scope for checking what is making it unstable either.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

It sounds like you are using the phone as a USB WiFi adapter, not to access the cell network

Ah I kind of glossed over that lol.

Yeah a real WiFi adapter will work a lot better.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

3 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Ah I kind of glossed over that lol.

Yeah a real WiFi adapter will work a lot better.

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

It sounds like you are using the phone as a USB WiFi adapter, not to access the cell network.

As such the answer is what you might expect, get a proper WiFi adapter.

In my experience tethering tends to disconnect after a while if not in active use, plus its really not intended to be used like this so your experience may vary.  Not that there is really any reason why this shouldn't work, but there isn't really much scope for checking what is making it unstable either.

i had one given to me but i cant find drivers for it and i have other things i need to buy first : / so i got to deal with it for now. thank you for your responses :)

It could be worth seeing if you have any apps on your phone that are doing anything CPU intensive, as that could really slow things down.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7