5820K slower than a slow thing

I have a system based on a 5820K (@4.2GHz) and a GTX1070, and I mainly use it to play one particular game at the moment (World of Warships.... yes ok) - but I cannot get 60fps solid out of it. Through testing I've become quite sure the CPU is bottlenecking the system, but I don't think Haswell cores at 4.2GHz should be struggling to hit 60fps. Others have reported reaching easily over 100fps with not too dissimilar i7 setups. There is no thermal issue, as both GPU and CPU are well under 60C. The PSU is a Corsair AX850, the motherboard is an MSI X99S SLI Krait, and the RAM is 3200MHz Corsair stuff running XMP settings.

Actually both CPU and GPU are reporting low average loads (around 40% for GPU and maybe 50% for CPU), but changing the clocks on the CPU scales the FPS, whereas changing the clocks on the GPU does not, so I'm sure it is the CPU that is bottlenecking. No one core on the CPU seems particularly heavily loaded, but it's hard to tell for sure as I can't watch it closely while gaming.

Can anyone suggest what the problem could be here?

@DDebbil Is it possible you're using some sort of power saver mode.  Like a Laptop Mode within the game's settings?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

What's your Uncore speed ?
Try High Performance power plan.
HD or SD version ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Would you Adam and Eve it? It was the power saving settings after all.... why would Windows have a setting by default that gimps the CPU on a desktop system?

Unfortunately going to high performance mode has made the system unstable to the point where I can't even run it 4GHz @ 1.3V. I can run 3.8GHz fine, but that's pretty pitiful for a 5820k.

Still, it is getting me 60fps solid at last.