Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wifi Speeds

SouthernStallion

Forgive my noobishness, but why when say you have a 60mb internet connection is it always referred to as "speed"? It's bandwidth or capacity isn't it? For example, in a fibre cable the data is travailing at the speed of light. And in a copper cable at a significantly reduced speed. So in fact it's just marketing trickery? A 1Gb connection is no faster than a 30Mb connection if you're say streaming data that is 12MB from Youtube - the 1Gb connection is vastly overkill. Am I right in thinking such speeds are for families with 20 children all on their devices streaming at the same time, such that 1Gb internet has the capacity to feed all of them - it's no faster (for a small file) than 30?

Thank you for your time

T

i7 3770k @5GHz, Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H, GTX 1070, AX 1200, EK custom loop, 8GB Blue Vengeance CL9 1600MHz, IPS 24" 1080p 60Hz, Windows 10 Enterprise, a variety of Samsung SSDs

Speed is the Number you generally see, so if i have 600 Mbit internet, its 600 Mbits/s speed. Bandwidth is the amount of data that will be allowed to run at that speed. Take a water pipe for example, the flow of the water into the pipe would be the speed of the water. But the pipe can only hold a certain amount of water (bandwidth) no matter how fast your internet is, if the bandwidth is short you are going to be limited by that.

Its why youll see people with gigabit internet get 10-20 MB downloads instead of 50-70 MB, because one the servers of the games have one bandwidth limit, and your home internet has a bandwidth limit

Not really, think of it more like a pipe with water. You have a small pipe and it might be fine for one person who needs a bit of water and doesn't mind a little extra wait but if you have a lot of water you need to move then a bigger pipe is going to allow you to do the same thing but faster. Speed on the line is irrelevant in terms of how "fast" something downloads. The term you're looking for is latency and it's how much extra time it takes for you to do something and it to be received by the server. Lower latency is faster communication between you and the other side but the additional latency of copper vs fiber is minimal and almost non-existent to the normal person.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Bandwidth is how much data you can move through the path at once. That is the amount in Mbps (Megabits per second) or so.

Latency (given in milliseconds) is how much time it takes to go from one end to the other end. Fiber is ever so slightly faster than copper, wireless is slowest of these three.

WiFi speeds are whole different story. The advertised speeds are very often the maximum theoretical bandwidth combined over all clients. The realistic speeds depend on a lot of variables - distance, interference, device/router capabilities (b/g/n/ac), packet sizes etc.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+