Advice for a private network on a college campus?

lootmidget

Hi guys,

My college uses WPA2 - Enterprise wifi, and I'm considering creating a private network for my room to connect my Sonos Play 1, Echo Dot, and FireTV. Just curious if anyone has experience with this or recommendations for a cheap but effective router or repeater to do this with? Ethernet connectivity in my room is questionable; the wall port doesn't seem to work, but I could probably get facilities to fix that if necessary. Is there any way for me to accomplish this using my desktop computer or the wifi connection instead? I figure I could just share my desktop's wifi connection through its ethernet port, but I'd prefer to not have all the internet traffic from my TV going through my desktop computer, if there's another solution. Thanks for your help!

the best thing you can do here is connecting the router to a ethernet port in the wall, and letting the tv, your pc and phone connect to your router. what you should get depends on your needs and keepabilities of the hardware you have

Talk to your campus IT department first. I worked for my school's IT department, we did not allow personal routers, switches, or tethering and it was common practice to shut down the port or ap that they were connected to when they were detected.