Input Lag

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,

Manufactuers dont tend to spec the input latency. only proper reveiwers do.

That said, sub 25ms is consider fine for non professional users.

Most monitors shouldnt have very high input latency as they dont tend to have much if any image processing.

TV's is where u need to really look into it as they can be well above 25ms. Thankfulyl its better nowdays with most TV's 'game mode' being sub 25ms,u can even find some with sub 16ms.

FYI: u cant base input latnecy on the exact panel as the input latency is determined by the controller.

1.- How do you find the Input Lagg of a monitor?

2.- How much Input lagg is decent for gaming in IPS monitors?

I found this one for a good price but I don't see the input lagg on the specs.

Viewsonic VA2719-2K-SMHD

Thank you

1. I generally only look for input lag numbers from reviewers who accurately measure it but I can't find any of them for the ViewSonic

2. Acceptable input lag is viewed differently depending on the refresh rate. For 60hz, below 16ms should be good for all gaming; below 32ms is fine for casual gaming but may fall short with competative gaming and above 32ms, input lag will be noticeable in desktop usage. For 144hz, below 7ms should be fine for competative gaming, 7 to 14ms may be not be good enough for some people but for casual gaming it is generally fine, anything above 14ms may be noticeable in desktop usage. 

54 minutes ago, Hi P said:

@Sombra Do you know the input lag of said monitor? 

No. It may be possible to guess the input lag by taking a look at a monitor that uses the same panel but also has its input lag listed somewhere. The Asus PB278Q might use the same panel and it has an input lag of 28.2ms. I can't confirm if that is also true for the ViewSonic but it is my best guess.

1 hour ago, Sombra said:

The Asus PB278Q might use the same panel and it has an input lag of 28.2ms.

Taking that as a reference, is it bad for gaming?

Manufactuers dont tend to spec the input latency. only proper reveiwers do.

That said, sub 25ms is consider fine for non professional users.

Most monitors shouldnt have very high input latency as they dont tend to have much if any image processing.

TV's is where u need to really look into it as they can be well above 25ms. Thankfulyl its better nowdays with most TV's 'game mode' being sub 25ms,u can even find some with sub 16ms.

FYI: u cant base input latnecy on the exact panel as the input latency is determined by the controller.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

@SolarNova That was really helpful!

So pretty much for monitors I really shouldn't worry about looking for the Input Lag since most of them are decent? (aside from TVs)

42 minutes ago, Hi P said:

@SolarNova That was really helpful!

So pretty much for monitors I really shouldn't worry about looking for the Input Lag since most of them are decent? (aside from TVs)

Indeed.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |