DD-WRT random dropouts

Scott17818

I have an ASUS RT-AC66R router running DDWRT (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/22/14) std - build 23940) hooked to my spectrum cable modem (100Mbit/10Mbit), I am having issues with the whole router just randomly going down, and rebooting itself. i have checked all the power settings, and I even tried lowering them to 80% output for Wifi. 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. typically I only have the cell phones 3-5, tablets 2, and maybe the 2.4ghtz chromecast.. so the wifi network demand is'nt that high.. on LAN I have 2 desktops, a Roku box, an android box, and my soon to be defunct NAS box, and PS3, and PS4. 

I have even tried to revert back to the original Firmware, but without success. should I start looking for a new router? this router is only about 2 years old. any suggestions on a replacement? preferably something fast, with decent range.. even looking at the MESH types with the possibility of going fully wired network with a Ubiquity WAP. just dont know the best option... my house is roughly 60x24ft, single level ranch. no concrete other than the full basement. wifi outside on some of the lawn would be great, but not necessary (for yardwork tunes). my easiest option, and not only would it be free is to get a TWC router/wifi... although I have no idea what they use.. I'm assuming its an all in one modem/router/wifi Arris variant.

Its likely a buffer overflow.  Had the same issue with mainline DD-WRT on a WRT-1200AC.

Reboots were much more common with high network load.  Setting up router-local file shares made it worse as well.

It seemed to be related to the WiFi driver having a memory leak.

Strangely, the problem persisted even when rolling back to stock firmware, similar to what you are experiencing.  I imagine that the WiFi driver/firmware is flipping some persistent flag in the hardware.