Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading ryzen 1700x

Im an animator Would upgrading from ryzen 1700x with rx 480 graphics card to 

 

Threadripper 1950x with 1080 gpu

 

Would it Increase animating power enough to valid the £1600 price tag ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What software do you use?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, fasauceome said:

What software do you use?

Tvpaint animation,  photoshop , maya 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jordanjenks123 said:

Im an animator Would upgrading from ryzen 1700x with rx 480 graphics card to 

 

Threadripper 1950x with 1080 gpu

 

Would it Increase animating power enough to valid the £1600 price tag ? 

Go for it, but not GTX 1080. A quadro or even better a radeon pro WX gpu is probably a much better choice for what you do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

So when I looked up your software, the only program that would actually benefit is Maya. Photoshop definitely doesn't need 16 cores, and tvpaint is a similar story. Maya can use many cores for very complex renders, and I'm unaware as to whether or not it can enable OpenCL acceleration, but you should find out before you buy new hardware. Your system seems great for these tasks, and I don't feel like a 1080 would help if cuda acceleration isn't available to you. Also, how much ram do you have?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, fasauceome said:

So when I looked up your software, the only program that would actually benefit is Maya. Photoshop definitely doesn't need 16 cores, and tvpaint is a similar story. Maya can use many cores for very complex renders, and I'm unaware as to whether or not it can enable OpenCL acceleration, but you should find out before you buy new hardware. Your system seems great for these tasks, and I don't feel like a 1080 would help if cuda acceleration isn't available to you. Also, how much ram do you have?

16gb ram, I was thinking of maybe upgrading to 32gb and then getting better cooling to overclock my cup

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Jordanjenks123 said:

16gb ram, I was thinking of maybe upgrading to 32gb and then getting better cooling to overclock my cup

 

I'd say check out what system usage is if your renders or general use is slow. You might only be held back by ram.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×