Dual virtual machine with ryzen 7 2700x??

RedyD

Hi guys i have a question regarding ryzen cpus in particular, me and my girlfiriend recently bought the oculus rift and she spends most of her time playing on it which occupies the entire system, in the future i would like to split it into 2 separate Virtual Machines with just one case and wanted to know if you think the ryzen 7 2700x is a good option for this or should i consider a different cpu? Current build is: i5 8600k at 4.6ghz, NXZT kraken m22, gtx 1070 strix, asus z370 strix gaming g, 256gb m.2 samsung ssd, 1tb seagate barracuda, 600w evga b power supply. I will be upgrading the cpu, motherboard and powersupply as well as the case which now is cooler master masterbox 300p, because the temps spike up to 75 when playing VR with all fans running turbo. (small case problems i guess) 

22 minutes ago, RedyD said:

300p

That case is terrible and has no airflow

Why don't you just spend like $350 ish on a basic R3 2200G that'll do gaming just fine? It's far easier and advisable to just deal with 2 systems rather than some virtualization thing.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That case is terrible and has no airflow

Why don't you just spend like $350 ish on a basic R3 2200G that'll do gaming just fine? It's far easier and advisable to just deal with 2 systems rather than some virtualization thing.

I think you're on the right track with building a second system for gaming, however, it would largely depend on what games he's playing. VR needs beefy hardware from what I understand, to keep those framerates up.

I think your initial thought of $350 for a gaming rig is a bit impractical as he's not told us what games he plays, only that currently his GF is into VR.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

13 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

The main/OG PC would be used for VR, the secondary PC for whatever else. And the secondary PC is easily upgradable later.

Although this is a thing, though not recommended...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The main/OG PC would be used for VR, the secondary PC for whatever else. And the secondary PC is easily upgradable later.

This is assuming he doesn't want to play any games on the secondary PC that would really benefit from a 1070 over the integrated.

We are missing some key components:

1.) If she is playing VR, what is it you expect to do on the machine at the same time.

2.) If you plan to game, how graphically demanding are they.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

Well i play various games raning from less HW difficult to serious bussines, for example last couple of days a play a lot of destiny 2, as for vr we mostly play beat saber but i like to throw in some robo recall or pavlov. The 2 pc with like a ryzen 3 sounds promising although i have to keep in mind my space which is why i considered 2 separate VMs instead of 2 towers, and yes the 300p has no airflow sucks im switching to cougar mx340-G

57 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

Your gonna need a lot more than that, what’s your budget?

also this video might help.

The budget for the cpu motherboard is like 550€ the gpu is a future plan but i am 

I like to enjoy my games at 60fps 1080p max or high settings for crisp details, if i were to do 2 VMs expected workloads would be 1vm for mostly VR oculus rift, other one work and casual gaming such as csgo or other not so cpu heavy games the most heavy game would be the destiny 2

I was thinking of the ryzen 7 2700x 2 vm 4 cores per vm the vr one will get the 1070 and the other will get a 1060, but if there is a better cpu for this scenario tell me, even 6 cores for VR vm seems logical to me although i have some doubts about the other VM with just 2 cores

13 minutes ago, RedyD said:

I like to enjoy my games at 60fps 1080p max or high settings for crisp details, if i were to do 2 VMs expected workloads would be 1vm for mostly VR oculus rift, other one work and casual gaming such as csgo or other not so cpu heavy games the most heavy game would be the destiny 2

For a bit more on your budget you can just get an entire 2nd gaming PC, easily under budget if you have some parts to reuse.

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Q6mnw6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Q6mnw6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (€164.90 @ Alternate)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€83.80 @ Alza)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€70.17 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€39.23 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 4GB PULSE Video Card  (€199.90 @ Caseking)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€29.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: XFX - XT 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€51.46 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €639.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-22 22:42 CEST+0200

Spoiler

My suggestion for something like this.

1 machine

2 GPU

1 VM

2700x if you get a decent overclock would probably do what you're trying to, but as I've never tried I cant tell you for sure.

However an 8600K @ 4.6Ghz is still very good and you might want to try just using that before spending money on an entire system.

Just buy a bigger case and a secondary graphics card for the VM and split the processor between system and VM.

Most games don't generally use more than 2 cores, yes there are exceptions, but I'd still try before buying an entirely new system.