My computer keeps locking up with the clock stopped!

aeadespeacock

Hi my computer keeps locking up with the time and the date stuck at the same place, theses crashes can occur at anytime from opening a new browser tab to check my online banking to just leaving the computer at idle.

I've heard that this can be a sign of a failing PSU, what are everyone else's views on this topic.

Try running Memtest to see if it's a bad stick or RAM.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

Just now, Opencircuit74 said:

Try running Memtest to see if it's a bad stick or RAM.

Is memtest genuine? is it run as what they call a portable EXE? e.g. doesn't need installing.

2 minutes ago, barondeau said:

Time and date makes me think cmos battery, but thzt wouldn't cause crashes

NO! what I mean by time and date is when the screen is frzoen the time and date stay the same and the mouse won't move.

Though Yes if it was the problem you were referring to then yes it would most likely be the CMOS battery, though I don't think it is as you said this wouldn't result in this sort of behaviour.

There are two ways of testing ram physically putting them in one at a time to see if they work or using an online memory tester, there are physical memory testers put they are expensive

1 minute ago, barondeau said:

There are two ways of testing ram physically putting them in one at a time to see if they work or using an online memory tester, there are physical memory testers put they are expensive

Yearh so you think it's a ram issue someone has recommended that I download a program called "memtest", so I will go ahead and do that now.

Before you set-up a memtest session for a day or so, reset your bios to 'fail-safe/optimized defaults', and delete/re-make your pagefile.