Graphics Card Issue.

WheatleyDotJPEG

I've been having this issue for a long time. 
Whenever I launch my PC and start a game it works fine but if I let a bit of time pass and try to launch a game it crashes.

I think this is a graphics card issue. When I go into MSI Afterburner and then launch a game, the game seems to run okay at first but the boost clock keeps rising and when it goes over 1354MHz the game crashes.

I tried raising the power and temperature limits to the max and it helped a little but with unpredictable results.
I tried lowering the base clock but the GPU boosts to 1354mhz anyway and the game still crashes.

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE AB350M GAMING 3 and my Graphics Card is a ZOTAC GTX 950 2GB. My Power Supply is a Corsair VS550.

When I take out the graphics card and run the game on intergrated graphics the game works fine. I thought this was a RAM issue but everything looks fine in MSI Afterburner and memtest also said nothing was wrong.

This might be a voltage issue but I doubt it.
When I ran Sword with Sauce, Unreal Engine 4 crashed and returned an error. HUNG.
Desktop works fine with no crashes.

I think this might be an issue with the GPU boost. Increasing the fan speed didn't change anything. Is there any way to disable/lower the GPU boost?
I'll be happy to give more information or run more tests.

Thank you in advance!

Does the game still crash after a while? Even when you launch the game immediately? 

Edited by barondeau
hit enter too soon

Maybe try lowering max boost clock and lowering temp and voltage limits.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

13 minutes ago, WheatleyDotJPEG said:
I tried raising the power and temperature limits to the max and it helped a little but with unpredictable results.
I tried lowering the base clock but the GPU boosts to 1354mhz anyway and the game still crashes.

Did you remember to hit Apply?  Lowering the clock in Afterburner should set the maximum clock, not the base, IIRC.

Also, try lowering your thermal limit and power limit by 5-10.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

1 hour ago, barondeau said:

Does the game still crash after a while? Even when you launch the game immediately? 

Depends what game. Fortnite crashes after a couple of hours while most others such as Black Ops II and Max Payne 3 last as long as you want, like they should.

1 hour ago, Navid Jamali said:

Maybe try lowering max boost clock and lowering temp and voltage limits.

I can't lower the max boost clock. No option. Tried lowering the temp and voltage limits but it didnt fix anything.

Are you opening apps and other things before opening games or just letting it sit awhile unattended?

9 minutes ago, barondeau said:

Are you opening apps and other things before opening games or just letting it sit awhile unattended?

Sometimes both. Same results either way.

I have an Idea that it might be your computer running out of RAM and crashing, it fits most of the problems and explains why some older games still work. When your computer runs out of RAM starts writing to your disks to make space. Which is a very slow practice and is a stop gap measure only to be used in emergencies. The amount of RAM in your computer might be enough for older games, but not for newer ones, which will lead to the instability that causes crashes. To explain why the integrated graphics didn't cause crashes was because it did less, ie used less RAM, as the CPU is doing the graphics so didn't need to talk through the RAM. Another reason why it might crash after it has been on for longer is because more things have been using the RAM. The solution could be found in getting more ram, getting rid of some of the programs that open on startup, or maybe running the games on less intensive settings with less programs in the background.

10 minutes ago, barondeau said:

I have an Idea that it might be your computer running out of RAM and crashing, it fits most of the problems and explains why some older games still work. When your computer runs out of RAM starts writing to your disks to make space. Which is a very slow practice and is a stop gap measure only to be used in emergencies. The amount of RAM in your computer might be enough for older games, but not for newer ones, which will lead to the instability that causes crashes. To explain why the integrated graphics didn't cause crashes was because it did less, ie used less RAM, as the CPU is doing the graphics so didn't need to talk through the RAM. Another reason why it might crash after it has been on for longer is because more things have been using the RAM. The solution could be found in getting more ram, getting rid of some of the programs that open on startup, or maybe running the games on less intensive settings with less programs in the background.

I have 8GB of DDR4 RAM. And no games work. All games work when started in the first minute of so or launch but after that you can't get anything to work. Not even GTA 3 works.

Black Ops 2 still works? also is the RAM 1x8GB, 2x4GB, or 4x2GB? It doesn't crash if you don't open the games right?

4 minutes ago, barondeau said:

Black Ops 2 still works? also is the RAM 1x8GB, 2x4GB, or 4x2GB? It doesn't crash if you don't open the games right?

No, BO2 doesn't work. The RAM is 1x8GB. It doesnt crash if I dont open the games.

What are your thermals like, Are you using a stock cooler? What is the temp of the room? Are all the components getting good airflow? (fans plugged in, work, facing right direction, not clogged with dust)  

14 hours ago, barondeau said:

What are your thermals like, Are you using a stock cooler? What is the temp of the room? Are all the components getting good airflow? (fans plugged in, work, facing right direction, not clogged with dust)  

Stock cooler. Room is really cold. Everything's got good airflow. 

Wait for how long have you been having this issue, as heat could be the issue, if it has always been like this i would guess it would be a heat issue

3 hours ago, barondeau said:

Wait for how long have you been having this issue, as heat could be the issue, if it has always been like this i would guess it would be a heat issue

Ever since I built my PC. 4 months ago. I moved house 2 months in. For two days before I moved the PC decided to work properly after I removed and placed back the CMOS battery.